DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Leopard II, Magic Stabilizer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/507024-leopard-ii-magic-stabilizer.html)

Warren Kawamoto April 17th, 2012 10:37 PM

Leopard II, Magic Stabilizer

As I was walking around NAB today, I came across the Leopard II by Wondlan. I never heard of this product or company, but the first thing that struck me was how well built it appeared. I picked up the arm, and was surprised that it seemed to be machined better than my Steadicam Flyer's!

Then next to it, there was what looked like a Glidecam 4000, but with a longer post. It was made of carbon fiber, and the camera platform was made of solid metal. It also had left-right, fore-aft rack and pinion adjustments. It was called Magic Carbon Fiber Stabilizer.

If I didn't already have my Flyer, I would seriously have considered these. I don't know if I overheard right, but I think I heard $3000 for the Leopard, and $400 for the Magic. I didn't have time to actually try these with a camera on, but will do so tomorrow if I have time.

Buba Kastorski April 18th, 2012 05:53 AM

Re: Leopard II, Magic Stabilizer

$3000?
i think it's bit overpriced, for that money you can buy new Pilot, and it s remarkable piece of equipment

Dennis Hingsberg August 10th, 2012 11:23 PM

Where did you figure can buy a complete pilot steadicam for $3000 new? They start at $3799 CDN + taxes...

Madison Lee September 11th, 2012 08:35 AM

Why not get Leopard III? I got mine this week, will share my thoughts later and maybe post some test footage =)

Dennis Hingsberg September 11th, 2012 09:32 AM

**Edit: Please note the Leopard II's referred to at the beginning of the thread is the NON-DELUXE version.. and in turn I wrote about the Leopard II DELUXE. But I've also outlined the differences in more detail below.

The main difference between Leopard II (DELUXE) and III is actually only at the bottom of the sled.

The III uses two adjustable platforms on the base for the battery and LCD, presumably giving you more configuration options. The II (DELUXE) uses a flat base with only angle-adjustable mounts for the battery and LCD. Other then that the vest and arm and sled are the same.

I did a lot of research between the EEMOV, Laing/Hotwheel, Membo, Zollinger, and Leopard (Wondlan) and I think the Wondlan is the best in terms of features for price. It has a telescopic adjustable post which is key once you put on heavier cameras. It is also rates the highest in terms of camera weight. (15kg). Even if that's exaggerated, 7kg-10kg would be good enough for most people! (15-22lbs)

One caution is that many of these models have various versions of the same model that look identical, be careful about this, for example the Leopard II has a DELUXE and non-deluxe model. The non-deluxe is cheaper, but doesn't support the same weight, and the sled and arm appear to be different than the DELUXE.

If I were going to put my money on any of these steadycams it would probably be the Leopard II Deluxe, although I have neither seen or tested one myself to speak to its quality and performance. I hope Madison returns and posts the results to his tests.