Review & videos: The Blackbird Camera Stabilizer - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old August 21st, 2012, 06:32 PM   #16
Ruler of the DownUnder UnderWorld

Re: Review & videos: The Blackbird Camera Stabilizer

Yeh Dearran been thinking of getting one for a awhile now, should be fun.

Gee Charles just looking at some of your videos mate, pretty cool.
I liked this one Steadishots.org : Steadicam Shot by Charles Papert from Garrett Brown, Thank You
So you became too much of a Chick Magnet so you had to give it up hey :-)

Don't think I will get to that league but it seems to work nice with what I am doing.
The thing I like about using them is you don't have to cut cut cut, to keep the viewer interested as the camera is constantly moving so you can get away with simple long takes.

Thanks for the link to that book, might grab one for a look.

Vest is getting closer by the look, just left Brisbane lol
Takes twice as long to get from Sydney to Cairns then from NewYork to Sydney lol
Paul Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 07:20 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I knew there were more reasons to have a steadycam than those obvious reasons....
Old August 22nd, 2012, 01:50 AM   #18

One week from New York to Cairns and here it is.
20 minutes later I was flying the Canon 60D then changed over and put my old Sony Z1 on it.
Amazing and very simple to set up with the Blackbird, takes flying to a whole new level.
Will post a video later from both cameras.
Very happy :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Review & videos: The Blackbird Camera Stabilizer-20120822_143124.jpg  
Old August 22nd, 2012, 04:17 AM   #19
Major Player

Very nice Paul. I'm sure you will create some great videos with this setup!

I really like the Steadicam arm and vest system and I love it in combination with the Blackbird. They work great together. I think you'll like it even better when the z-post arrives.
Derran Rootring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:11 PM   #20

Flying with a vest certainly makes things easier...life is going to be very easy now.
Weighted up the DSLR now so it flies much better.
With the old HDV Z1 and the Sony wide angle on the front I have to use all the weights but it flies excellent too.

I know I need a new Video camera but the old Z1 is such a run and gun camera and I love instant back up to tapes. It drives me nuts having to back up tape less footage to delicate sensitive hard drives all the time.
Old August 27th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #21

And so here is my very first outdoor fly test through the Rainforest with a Sony FX1 with a Wide Angle on.
How easy is it now hey :-)

Blackbird Stabilizer On Merlin Steadicam Vest and Arm First Fly Through Rainforest - YouTube
Old August 28th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #22
Major Player

Great video Paul!

Love the idea of mounting the GoPro to the front of the vest and using the remote for zooming. :)
Old August 28th, 2012, 04:07 PM   #23

Yeh the remote works but not underneath the camera so might just Velcro it to the front of the vest or arm for easy access. I got a old lanc connector too so might pull that apart and modify it so control is right there on the post.

I shot a property yesterday with the DSLR on it but I think the setup needs to to weighted up more as I was wobbling around a bit but still came out OKAY. Have to be careful not to hit stuff too with the arm out there. House was a pretty dark one too so had the iso cranked right up.
27Gloucester Street Whitfield FNQ Hot Property Cairns Real Estate - YouTube
Old September 7th, 2012, 09:26 PM   #24

Here is the Blackbird on the Steadicam Vest and Arm.
Good old Sony HDV FX1 with the Sony wide angle on.
This is the very first pre wedding shoot I have ever done and the first on the Blackbird.
As it was my first one I did not charge as I was not sure how it would go but it's pretty easy so plan to do more now.

Wedding Photography Shoot Blackbird Stabilizer On Steadicam Vest and Arm - YouTube

Got my first ever wedding coming up and will shoot it entirely on the Blackbird.
Old September 10th, 2012, 04:38 AM   #25
Major Player

Very nice video Paul! The image quality of the FX1 looks good BTW.
Really like the shots and I'm sure the upcoming wedding video will turn out great. :)

Last week I've been filming with the Blackbird and Steadicam arm & vest as well. I have some work that needs to be finished first, but will post the resulting video here once it's done.
Old September 11th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #26

Even though the FX1 is like 7 years old now, its still perfect for run and gun shooting and leaves the DSLR's for dead in what it can nail on the run. Edit it in a 1920/1080 timeline, add in a bit of sharpens, chuck the tape in the cupboard for instant backup archive and know one knows any different.

I had an old tripod Lanc controller that I had on the post so I could control record and zoom without having to let go.

I have my eye on the new Sony PMW 200 though, liking that 3 half chips - 4.2.2 @ 50mbps codec.

Looking forward to watching some of your footage.
Old September 18th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #27
Major Player

This looks like a great mix between the Glidecam and Merlin. Shame there are no UK dealers selling the Blackbird. I like many others had no joy with the Merlin so im looking to try something else. I seriously have spent months on and off practicing with the Merlin, the damn thing makes no sense and has no consistency to its design - i would say only around 10% of the time when i pick up the Merlin can i actually stabilize it with my 5dMK2. I have balanced it, gone out, captured some amazing shots, then next week i won't even be able to balance the damn thing even with the exact same setup. Not to mention it is useless in the wind. How does the Blackbird operate outside / windy conditions? I know all steadicams suffer with wind, but i know people have reported the Merlin due to its light-frame as more susceptible to its efforts. The blackbird looks a lot sturdier than the Merlin, more solid design.
Jordan Brindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 04:46 PM   #28
Major Player

Hi Jordan, the Blackbird is indeed very solid and actually makes a lot of sense. ;)
It's very easy to balance. I also look at it as a crossing between a Merlin and a Glidecam and it inherited all the great features of both systems and then added some more. It's no surprise I'm very happy with the Blackbird. :)

In windy conditions it acts the same as the Merlin and Glidecam, but there's a way to try and avoid this problem and that's using the smooth touch option. You can increase the friction on the gimbal and by doing so making it less sensitive to wind. So when you're forced to work in windy conditions the Blackbird provides you with a helpful option.

Perhaps you can buy the Blackbird from this store (I believe they also sell overseas): Blackbird Stabilizer Camera Motion Research Full Kit + Bag - Stabilizers & Tracks at CameraNU.nl
Old September 19th, 2012, 05:16 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derran Rootring View Post
Hi Jordan, the Blackbird is indeed very solid and actually makes a lot of sense. ;)
It's very easy to balance. I also look at it as a crossing between a Merlin and a Glidecam and it inherited all the great features of both systems and then added some more. It's no surprise I'm very happy with the Blackbird. :)

In windy conditions it acts the same as the Merlin and Glidecam, but there's a way to try and avoid this problem and that's using the smooth touch option. You can increase the friction on the gimbal and by doing so making it less sensitive to wind. So when you're forced to work in windy conditions the Blackbird provides you with a helpful option.

Perhaps you can buy the Blackbird from this store (I believe they also sell overseas): Blackbird Stabilizer Camera Motion Research Full Kit + Bag - Stabilizers & Tracks at CameraNU.nl
That sounds like a great solution to help in windy conditions. The overall build just seems brilliant.

I would love to buy one, but i can't justify £650 + shipping fee for it.
Jordan Brindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 05:30 AM   #30
Major Player

How about buying directly from them (Handheld Camera Stabilizer - Blackbird, GS2 - Camera Motion Research)
I don't know about shipping rates but it only costs $675 / £415

Perhaps this is more affordable.
Derran Rootring is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)