Weight rating of steadicam setup at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old November 18th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #1
Major Player

Weight rating of steadicam setup

I'm wanting to pick up a Glidecam HD4000 (with X-10 vest and arm). It's rated for cameras between 4 to 10pounds. That's not an issue for my camera, when its camera and lens only. But I'd also like the ability to use my mattebox and baseplate with rails. Which according to their perspective websites, puts the whole set right around the 10 pound range.

I'm just wondering....

When they rate something, like 4 - 10 pounds, is it fine to max out that spec? Or are they really designed to sit a little under max weight limit?
Old November 18th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Weight rating of steadicam setup

Hi Jeff

I doubt whether being on the limit would damage the arm or sled but the issue will be the arm spring sets..they might be a bit soft for a 10lb camera ....Also bear in mind that your camera centre of balance will have an effect on the total load...A high profile camera will lift the centre of balance so you will need more weight on the bottom stage thus increasing the weight the arm needs to be able to lift! However usually camera weight specs are approximate and if worst comes to worst you can always get new springs wound for the arm if you find they are close to limits.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #3
Major Player

I am not sure specifically about your the rig you are contemplating but you are correct to question it, as the manufacturers sometimes base the weight on the camera package, the stuff sitting on top of the sled, and sometimes they also include the batteries hanging on the bottom and sometimes the sled itself is included in the weight rating, but rarely.

I would call up the manufacturer and ask. Overweighting the sled can cause the gimbal bearings to blow. You don't want that to happen.

Chris mentions some important points about the effects of weight distribution and it's impact on the total weight on the sled.

Good luck.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 12:51 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the responses. I'll email the manufacturer and tell them what I'd like to setup and if they recommend if for their equipment.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)