New French Stabilizer Models (LAigle) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 12th, 2013, 07:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New French Stabilizer Models (LAigle)

Im interested in buying the Concorde Model for my F3 Rig. Im impressed, judging by their videos. I would also be interested what you guys think of it. Does it seem like a sturdy design, one that might last for a lifetime? The price is at about 10k dollars.

Matthias Sachal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 01:06 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: New French Stabilizer Models (LAigle)

I last tried one of their rigs about 5 years ago at NAB and was rather impressed with the function of their arms. The "rubber band" concept is somewhat radical, but it delivered a surprisingly linear response. I'm not particularly a fan of their whimsical industrial design but performance is what counts, and I felt they had a pretty solid design.

I'd also recommend you look at Actioncam, who I thought were also doing some good things.

Tiffen of course has the brand name and their arms on the smaller rigs are unequaled in smoothness, but more expensive for the specific payload. For the larger rigs, PRO and XCS were my weapons of choice back in the day.

I don't keep up with the current rigs but most changes have been incremental.
Old January 13th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for your reply. Their videos really appeal to me, but I have no chance to try one of their rigs becuase theyre built in france. Its quite an investment, so I have to rely on other operators that give the vid a watch.

I made bad experiences with the indian flycam rigs. They work to a certain point, but in time, for example, the arms have deformed because theyre made of cheap ?aluminum. So now Im looking for something to last a lifetime.
Old January 14th, 2013, 12:33 AM   #4
Major Player

I agree about the cine gear from ProAim and all the other shell names they use. I had one of their matte boxes and it was total garbage, with poor finish, features didn't work, tolerances were as sloppy as can be, it didn't fit the camera they advertised it to fit and the company behind it are a bunch of disreputable scammers.
Old January 14th, 2013, 01:24 AM   #5
Wrangler

Here's the thing about body-mounted stabilizers. They need to achieve multiple goals simultaneously: lightweight, able to withstand substantial torque, precision tolerances and where applicable, extremely low friction. That's a lot of demands. Anyone who has homebuilt a stabilizer (beyond the "$14" variety) will tell you it's not as simple as it looks, if it does actually look simple to anyone. A miniscule amount of play introduced by two components fitting together loosely can magnify through the system and result in jitter at certain frequencies. External forces like acceleration on a vehicle can stress the system causing component failure.

Buying off-brand from eBay is always tempting. But there's a lot of gear being sold that just won't last, as noted above. For a long-term investment, you are better off saving for the well-established brands.
Old January 30th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #6
Regular Crew

thanks for your advice charles. I just ordered their most advanced stabilizer (even got a special discount). sure would have liked a "clipper" better though. Iam curios about how it performs and will post my first experieces...
Old June 8th, 2013, 05:11 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Now worked with it for a few Projects. The Sled, Vest and Arm are solidly built. Only thing I was a bit dissapointed with are the BNC cables that came with it. Theyre kind of cheap quality. The changing of the rubber bands is tricky at first. Now that im used to it, it works quite fast.

This is the first Test with the system and its still a bit shaky, which comes from the lack of training with the system I guess.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehfgf8ah8n...28Small%29.jpg

Matthias Sachal is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)