Steadicam Merlin - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old January 1st, 2006, 04:01 AM   #46
Wrangler

I don't agree that that is an accurate test.

For one thing, holding a weight in the hand (grasped or sitting in the palm) uses different muscles than forces enacted by the gimballed handle of a stabilizer such as the Merlin.

For another, even if one was to replicate the specific load bearing of the Merlin with a dead weight, it's more than likely that one could last longer with the stabilizer vs. the dead weight, because the stabilizer requires one to focus on a myriad of other things than just the weight itself which will improve stamina to a certain degree.

Plus, the type of muscles used for both handheld and body-mounted stabilizers are generally not in top condition in most people but can be worked up over time, if one is motivated enough.

I believe that the HVX is a sophisticated (and heavy) enough machine that it deserves a more comprehensive stabilizer than the Merlin--the next model up, the Flyer, is a perfect combination.
Old January 1st, 2006, 12:39 PM   #47
Trustee

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the post.

What you said in your post is more accurate.

Happy new year. ;-)

Regards
Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert
I don't agree that that is an accurate test.

For one thing, holding a weight in the hand (grasped or sitting in the palm) uses different muscles than forces enacted by the gimballed handle of a stabilizer such as the Merlin.

For another, even if one was to replicate the specific load bearing of the Merlin with a dead weight, it's more than likely that one could last longer with the stabilizer vs. the dead weight, because the stabilizer requires one to focus on a myriad of other things than just the weight itself which will improve stamina to a certain degree.

Plus, the type of muscles used for both handheld and body-mounted stabilizers are generally not in top condition in most people but can be worked up over time, if one is motivated enough.
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 02:57 PM   #48
Major Player

Arrghh,

Can't seem to find one in STOCK anywhere.

Anyone see it advertised online? No one knows when they'll get more for sure.

How much do you think an average RENTAL rate for this will be?
Ronald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 03:07 PM   #49
Major Player

It's a new product that only just came off the production line, so there will be a steady flow untill them come into stock. Just get your name on a list or two and I'm sure you'll get one prety quick.

- Mikko
Old January 5th, 2006, 08:27 AM   #50
Tourist

Merlin in and out of stock

I'd watched B & H for a couple of months as the Merlin remained backordered. But they told me they should have it by the end of the year and it showed up in stock right after Christmas, so I bought one. Now it is backordered again. I was supposed to be e-mailed when it came in stock, but that never happened.
Jeff Moravec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #51
Major Player

HI there

Have there been any reports of any problems with the Merlin?

My friend just got one on Friday and it broke already. The metal rods at the top of the merlin slide back and forth and the camera swings on it's mount when it moves.... :(
Old January 9th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #52
Major Player

Is your friend "Saturnin Kondratiew" who just started the other thread on the topic?

- Mikko
Old January 9th, 2006, 04:54 PM   #53
Major Player

yah....i know Ron, hes a trouble maker..lol .....he broke my ankle yesterday because i didnt let him direct.... u will notice a cast in the video that i posted in the other thread, lol! THANX RON!!! THANX!!
Saturnin Kondratiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 05:19 PM   #54
Major Player

That was payback for ramming into me with your motorcycle as I was carrying the three layer wedding cake to my sister's wedding.

hee
Old January 9th, 2006, 06:18 PM   #55
Inner Circle

Man, am I surprised that Merlin got broken. ;)
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 07:00 PM   #56
Regular Crew

I made up a similar rig out of alumina,complete with a self-centring bearing and gimbal handle. These rig’s work ok, but make no mistake, even if you have strong wrists they are tiring to use. If you intend shooting for any length of time you’re better off with a rig that can attach to some kind of waist or shoulder support.
Joe Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 11:25 PM   #57
Major Player

Self centering?
Want to share details?

- Mikko
Old March 31st, 2006, 12:39 AM   #58
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Risdon
Hi Mikko
I got a JR a couple of months ago for use with a fully loaded PD150 (W/A, big battery etc) and whilst it needs practice, I've got some great bits which I've used in corporates. I'm sure its not up to "proper" Steadicam standards, but certainly impressed a client or two!
Anyhow, whilst its fine now, the JR seems flimsy (although Charles's posts about his JR suggest otherwise!) so I thought a Merlin might be a wise investment. So finally my question(!):-
With no built-in-monitor, it easy to balance using a camera's flip out screen?
I know someone who has the JR, and they tell me that the PD150 is too heavy for it. I read the specs on the Merlin, and I know it is supposed to take cameras up to 5 lbs; however, looking at the online "cookbook" for cameras and weights, I did not see the PD150/170 listed.

Is anyone using the Merline with their PD150/170, and are there any weight issues?
Tom Bolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 07:16 AM   #59
Major Player

Yes the Steadicam Merlin will take the PD150/170 perfectly. - Infact I'd say that's about one of the best weight cameras for the Merlin.

Well noticed about the Cookbook settings missing. I think they'll probably have them up for the PD-150 sometime soon soon.
(or you can use their snazzy onlines calculator to get teh settings too!)

- Mikko
Old April 1st, 2006, 08:50 AM   #60
Major Player

PD-150 / 170 settings.

A follow up to my previous post...

Some PD-150/170 settings are now online in the user-supplied section of the Merlin cookbook: http://www.merlincookbook.com/user.php

- Mikko

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)