DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Glidecam HD 1000 and SmallHD DP6? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/517319-glidecam-hd-1000-smallhd-dp6.html)

Jeff Troiano June 20th, 2013 09:15 AM

Glidecam HD 1000 and SmallHD DP6?

I've looked into, and have found a few examples of people rigging Glidecam HD 4000's with monitors on the bottom weights.

I wanted to ask if anyone had thoughts about rigging up something similar on a Glidecam HD 1000? Am interested in getting a smaller steadicam setup, to be used with a Blackmagic pocket cinema camera (once it arrives). For anyone who hasn't followed that particular camera, its similar in size to a Sony NEX 5.

Would adding a monitor be too much weight on the bottom? I have no steadicam experience, and have only watched videos on how to set them up. So I have an idea of how it all works. But I'm wondering if using such a light weight camera and the monitor would be too much for an HD 1000?

Any thoughts?

Ron Aerts July 4th, 2013 09:29 AM

Re: Glidecam HD 1000 and SmallHD DP6?

1 Attachment(s)
I have a glidecamsetup as 'toy rig' for light camera's and a managed to have up to a Sony F3 (stripped) + camwave on top and a Vlock battery plus Marshall HD monitor and CDrecorder at the base
I must say it's not easy to get dynamic balance, but i needed a small and light rig for a shot.
It took some 'mcgyvering' but hence, anything to get the shot done.
With an EX1 (2,5kg) it is easy to do, but you need a battery or so on the other end of the base.
I even had it perfectly dynamic and static balanced.
I have the glidecam rig for sale actually, as it is collecting dust here.
I made holes for cabling running through the pole but there's no roon to run a HDMI cable, or you must remove the connector and put it back on.
I have HDSDI and power cabling on the rig

Jeff Troiano July 4th, 2013 09:57 AM

That's awesome. Thank you for posting. I've been looking into this more. And keep thinking, since the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema camera is so small and light, if I used a small m4/3 prime on it, I could get away with mounting both the camera and DP6 monitor on e top plate of the HD 1000. Bought a small pivot had that screws onto the bottom of the monitor, and has a 1/2 20 threaded mount on the bottom. Thinking put camera forward on plate, monitor towards the back, and it will allow me to lean the monitor forward to create a slightly upward facing video screen. Total weight is less the the 3lbs specified by the rig standards.

John Nantz July 4th, 2013 04:55 PM

Ron - that's totally impressive. Small camera, eh??? I wouldn't mind having a "small" camera like that!

Running a cable down the inside of the shaft is an EXCELLENT idea.

I've got the Glidecam 2000 but I haven't really used it. Still trying to get caught up with all the computer upgrades and editing of old "footage" (hey, it's digital, isn't it? not measured in feet but in bytes).

It really makes sense to add whatever gear you can to the bottom of the rig instead of putting the weights down there. The heavier the top of the rig is the more weights that have to be added. The darn thing is heavy enough without having to increase the weight for the top-heavy gear.

Putting all the weight on top is kinda like 'adding insult to injury'.