Trouble with Laing P04 balance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 24th, 2014, 02:37 AM   #1
Major Player

Trouble with Laing P04 balance

I know this may come across like a novice question, but I’ve actually got three years of stabiliser experience.

Just last year I bought a Laing P04, which was as you know, cheaper than the Glidecam and Merlin options, but a significant step up from my previous Flycam Nano DSLR.

I used it with my Canon 6D for most of this year - and whilst useable - I always knew that it wasn’t quite as rock solid as my previous Flycam Nano which was less than half the price.

Now I attempt to rebalance with my new Sony A7s - and I’m having a nightmare with it!

I balance on a light stand - I balance left/right, then front/back, I adjust for a 2-3 secong drop time. It stays straight and true on the stand. Once I lift it off to see how it handles, the vertical post begins to rotate and as it does the camera begins to tilt.

Have a got a dodgy gimbal?

I may post a video if anyone feels that would be useful.

The Laing has a great construction, great materials, fine adjustment knobs - I really had high hopes, but sadly I’m about to lose it with this contraption!
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 07:33 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Trouble with Laing P04 balance

Clive, what happens while it is balanced on the dock and you pan the camera 90 degrees? Do you start to see the same issue? If so, it is probably an issue with linearity in the gimbal.

Also, assuming you have attempted to dynamically balance? How well does that go?
Old July 26th, 2014, 03:22 AM   #3
Major Player

It could be the axis Charles. The handle is 90 degrees to the sled when balancing because I dont have an arm on top of the lightstand to keep the Laing from bumping it. I can therefore only check the handle-in-line position once I lift it off.

The thing that confuses me is that the vertical shaft starts to rotate and then tilt - well actually at the same time I guess.

If it was a straightforward case of gimbal misalignment, would it not be a simple tilt in a linear direction?

I've got in touch with Laing who have asked me to provide video of what I'm experiencing. Hopefully they can help or replace!
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 03:33 AM   #4
Inner Circle

If you rebalance it while holding it in your hands (after you have lifted it off the lightstand) does it then still rotate and tilt? And does this issue appear when you have your previous camera on it?
Also, is the a7s not much lighter then your previous camera? You might try adding weight to the plate where the camera is mounted onto, this will also require additional weights on the bottom side but it may be something worth trying to see if it helps.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)