Stable 4K Cell Phone Video with a 3-Axis Gimbal? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old January 9th, 2015, 08:06 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Stable 4K Cell Phone Video with a 3-Axis Gimbal?

Thanks for the link! It adds more food for thought.

After sleeping on this, I'm thinking this might be another one of my irresponsible impulse buys, so I should hold off and save towards a LX100 instead.

For now, I was inspired to mount my iPhone to the Steadicam Merlin.

By the way Mark, in terms of footage from the ikan stabilizers, it looks you got the best stuff online.

UPDATE: Found an open box model for $204 so I had to do it. (My only concern is why there are so many open box units available!)

Last edited by John C. Chu; January 9th, 2015 at 08:46 AM.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 05:36 PM   #17
Major Player

I just received the IKAN FLY-X3 today via USPS Sunday delivery.

I initially had trouble turning it on but it turned out I needed to tighten the battery compartment cap which seats the batteries.

No calibration to speak up of--just slide the phone in, push the button to on and it is ready to fly within 10 seconds.

It works well with my iPhone 6 sans case.

Very impressive! I love Steadicam's but I think this is the future of camera stabilization.

Thanks for the inspiration, Mark!
Old February 2nd, 2015, 10:24 AM   #18
Major Player

So after owning the unit for a month, I'm still working out the quirks and little annoyances with the Fly-X3. Definitely use freshly charged batteries with the unit. I can occasionally induce an oscillation-vibration-chatterring issue with the unit and the iPhone6. Here is me trying to make a poor man's Movi with some rods and handles for kicks. It should actually improve the footage I think.

Old February 12th, 2015, 09:02 AM   #19
Tourist

i see you're having fun. any review on this unit?
Kevin Choi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 12:58 PM   #20
Major Player

I had some minor issues with the X3 and my iPhone 6.

1) The unit would sometimes tilt to the right and not be level.
2) The unit would enter a state where it would vibrate in place for some reason.

I emailed ikan and they said that the Fly-x3 did not support the iPhone 6 even though it met the weight requirements.

They set up and RMA and I'm awaiting a replacement unit to see if it addresses the issue.

There is a step up model, so if I were looking at using it with an iPhone 6, check the "PLUS" model instead of the regular X3.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)