Gopro4 black and a Feiyu g3 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 23rd, 2014, 03:06 AM   #31
Trustee

Re: Gopro4 black and a Feiyu g3

I was so close to the G3 but the bug put me off so I'll give the FunnyGo a go.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2014, 03:28 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
To be honest I'm going back to a stedicam which I can set for smooth dampened movement
My g3 was not intended to replace my steadicam, I was hoping I could use it during the photoshoot but more specifically on locations that would benefit from the gopro's wide angle, like the shots I took at the cathedral, those would have been impossible before as I never use my steadicam before the reception. The g3 however is so small it fits in my backpack so for some occasional shots it's a great tool, even if it gets only a very limited use, too bad though about that annoying bug.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2014, 03:35 AM   #33
Trustee

I have been using my 5D2 and Glidecam 4000 for years and I'm thinking this new Gopro gimbal will be the end of lugging around the 4000 plus 5D. I only ever use a few seconds of the 5D and at the end of the day I think clients etc… are use to the look of the Gopro.

Very exciting with all the new gear coming out.

Last edited by Simon Denny; November 23rd, 2014 at 04:13 AM.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 03:47 AM   #34
Inner Circle

I just had a reply of that reviewer of the g3 and funnygo as there appears to be a new firmware update that deals with that bug but not completely, will give that a go asap to see what that will do.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 03:51 AM   #35
Trustee

Yeah the mention of the firmware update on the G3 was in my mind but…
You know next week there will be a new better one out, it's always they way.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 04:07 AM   #36
Inner Circle

It's just a delicate piece of electronics, normal mechanical steadicams are more reliable so for any critical where you only get one shot to get it right my blackbird stays my main companion, I guess you also get what you pay for, for the money I wanted to give it a shot but if later a more reputable brand (like camera motion research where I got my blackbird from) would bring out such a mini stabiliser I would get that without much thought, even at twice the price. they at least have excellent customerservice which is often missing in these Hongkong based copy cat companies.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 04:12 AM   #37
Trustee

Same thoughts here, give it all a go.
Old November 25th, 2014, 03:55 AM   #38
Inner Circle

I was not able to get the firmware installed so I just contacted the supplier and they said to return the unit and they would give me a replacement.
I also made a video showing them the problem but I can see on vimeo that they even did not bother to watch it. I also saw yesterday they have a Feiyu g4 coming out end of this year and this unit has no loose wires hanging out like the g3 has. I would have waited if I knew this before...
Old November 25th, 2014, 02:29 PM   #39
Major Player

I found another make which can take the back pack LCD or if you have done a lens mode different lenses.

Z ONE 3 Axis Handheld Brushless Gimbal Stabilizer for GOPRO PK FY G3 Ultra Gimbal-in Parts & Accessories from Toys & Hobbies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Video comparison.

Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2014, 06:01 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Mine went on eBay after a week and now some other poor soul can play with it. Half the time you have decent footage but the other half is a writeoff !! Very unimpressed with the performance of these units ...if it decides to jump or jitter it will. The concept is brilliant in theory but in practice in the elements and in the real world they are simply not practical and certainly not at critical events like weddings!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2014, 02:32 AM   #41
Inner Circle

My experience is different, if mine would not have that bug of occasional twitching while tilting, and I hope my replacement unit doesn't have that issue, then it is something I am planning to use much more in the future. I do need to use the stabiliser in after effects to straighten things out but the result can be used in my weddings or even company videos. This is because the 4K mode of my gopro has sufficient stabilising room.

It doesn't replace a steadicam but it can produce shots that are impossible with my blackbird because the blackbird is either to cumbersome to drag along when I move from location to location the first part of a wedding day or because I"m just not able to do such controlled combined pan and tilt shots or shoot in windy conditions.

As it looks more and more of these devices are coming out and I"m sure that within a year there will be better options to choose from, I plan to put my ministeadicam to use with every wedding that comes along next year, even if it's only for a few occasional shots, unless my replacement unit still has that stupid bug, then it's going on sale.
Old November 26th, 2014, 03:27 AM   #42
Trustee

I'm on a Glidecam 4000, 5D 16mm etc… and I hope that these little gimbals can really assist me with better walking shots. Also it's a small kit for traveling, I'll come back here after Ive had a good go at the Funny.
Old November 26th, 2014, 05:14 AM   #43
Inner Circle

Hi Simon

Hopefully the Funny will have no twitching ..My two axis one did a good job of smoothing out the footage and it's light as a feather but the twitching makes the footage unusable for me.

It will be interesting to see if your one has more dampened adjustment than mine had ...it's certainly easier than climbing into a stedicam vest on a hot day but I'm pretty used to it by now!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2014, 01:25 PM   #44
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald McPherson View Post
This Z-One Pro look pretty good!
Leon Kolenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2014, 01:38 PM   #45
Trustee

The twitching will be a deal breaker and I'm expecting that this will in there but…
Some videos I have seen online look great so far and I'm not sure how much post production has gone into these.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)