DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Video: Nebula 4000 With the Sony A7s (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/527607-video-nebula-4000-sony-a7s.html)

Derran Rootring April 7th, 2015 06:31 AM

Re: Video: Nebula 4000 With the Sony A7s

Hopefully there will be some real instructions available soon about working with the software. There's just so much you can improve with it! Too bad it's not your cup of tea. Apparently I'm more of a geek. ;)

I've finished up my Nebula 4000 Lite review which can be found here:
DerranNL: REVIEW: Nebula 4000 Lite 3-Axis Gyroscope Stabilizer

I also made my profile settings available for download for anyone who likes to give it a try!

Iris Zhang April 11th, 2015 08:48 AM

The video is so good. The footage is very clean and clean. Looking forward to your more wonderful videos.

Larry Secrest April 11th, 2015 02:31 PM

I'm wondering, isn't it a pain not to be able to see the LCD of your cam?

Noa Put April 12th, 2015 01:35 AM

You can see the screen, it's only partially blocked, it's not perfect but fine for framing your shot while you are shooting.

Larry Secrest April 12th, 2015 05:43 PM

OK. Nice to know

Derran Rootring April 13th, 2015 07:30 AM

Thanks Iris!

Larry, I hold the camera a bit lower then eye-level which gives me a clear free view on the LCD screen. Only when you start tilting the camera up or down some part of your screen might be blocked, but it's still enough for framing, like Noa said.

Derran Rootring April 21st, 2015 09:56 AM

I finally had some time to create a new video with the Nebula stabilizer, using the profile settings that can be found on my blog (DerranNL: REVIEW: Nebula 4000 Lite 3-Axis Gyroscope Stabilizer).

The new video can be seen here:

Charles W. Hull April 22nd, 2015 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derran Rootring (Post 1881949)
It doesn't have to be this complicated. To be honest I got a really good 'out of the box' result when using a different (100 grams heavier) lens. Then I changed to this lightweight wide angle and decided to give the software a try. The footage started to improve, so I decided to invest some more time in it. But I understand what you're saying. It's just the thing with electronic stabilisers, they need a different approach with some things. Perhaps in a few years the setup becomes completely automatic, but where's the fun in that? ;)

Derran, nice results. What is this lightweight wide angle lens? And what was the 100 grams heavier lens you were using? Thanks

(Woops, I see that was already asked in the A7s forum.)

Derran Rootring April 22nd, 2015 05:44 PM

No problem, it's the 16mm pancake lens from Sony with the ultra wide converter. You can also attach a fish-eye lens to this pancake. The heavier lens I was talking about is the FE 28-70mm Sony lens.

Iris Zhang May 2nd, 2015 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derran Rootring (Post 1884044)
I finally had some time to create a new video with the Nebula stabilizer, using the profile settings that can be found on my blog (DerranNL: REVIEW: Nebula 4000 Lite 3-Axis Gyroscope Stabilizer).

The new video can be seen here:

Nebula 4000 Lite 3-Axis Stabilizer - New Profile Settings - YouTube

I have seen your work... it's so nice. Your profile settings are very good, and your movement is also very professional.

Erwin van Dijck May 2nd, 2015 08:28 AM

Nice!
How does the unit work with a bit more tele lens? Filming someone in closeup for example?
How do you keep focus?

Derran Rootring May 2nd, 2015 02:52 PM

Thank you for the nice compliment Iris!

@ Erwin, using a bit of tele will produce similar results as filming in wide. And just like working with a regular stabilizer, little shakes and vibrations will become more apparent the more you zoom in. This effect will become less noticeable when there's a lot of movement in the shot.

If you want to shoot someone in close-up while walking with the camera, then I believe the best would be not to zoom in too much and simply stay closer to your subject. The up and down movement of the person walking in front of the camera will exaggerate the floating effect of the camera and you won't have to deal with a lot of vibrations showing up in your shot.

Iris Zhang May 24th, 2015 07:03 AM

A gimbal is just taken as a kind of technique and component. This beautifully edited video uses the Nebula 4000 Lite.