Video Camera Stabilizers, quick question. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 24th, 2015, 05:12 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Video Camera Stabilizers, quick question.

I've been up flying it around the house this morning already. Couldn't sleep well because I wanted to try it out. It's working fantastic!

Earlier last night, I found this video (among others) showing his holding technique... I tried it, and I like it - as opposed to holding it below the gimbal on the mid shaft section.

I left the rig on the lightstand last night, but did take my camera off. It took about 30 seconds to rebalance. The D750 has a built in level so it's easy to tell when it's balanced in all directions.

I'm using only 2 weights total, wings extended max, and shaft extended about 3/4 of the way.
Old April 24th, 2015, 06:52 AM   #17
Trustee

Thanks Kyle, thanks for the link.
Glad to hear your very happy with your Glidecam HD2000

It might be the one I need.

Just wondering, if I was to buy a PXW-X70 at some stage, would the Glidecam HD2000 still be suitable?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Anthony McErlean; April 24th, 2015 at 09:15 AM.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 08:05 PM   #18
Trustee

I shot 36 total takes with the ProAm Autopilot stabilizer this afternoon with my T4i and 18-55 IS lens for a simple music video. The stabilizer worked perfectly, all shots at 18mm. So I know it's working well since that isn't that wide and I saw nothing when reviewing the footage that was even noticeable as instability.

I'm using one plate each on the front and back of the base, with the tube extended exactly one inch.

The only things I had to do after taking the stabilizer out of the bag was extend the tube, mount the camera on the quick release, and then shift my secret weapon for balance a quarter inch from where it moved while in transport.

My secret weapon: MOUSE BALLS!! As in from an old computer mouse. The very heavy kind with a steel ball inside a soft rubber coating.

Using a small but powerful disc magnet from KJ Magnetics attached to one of the steel weight plates, I can make tiny location changes to the mouse ball and the magnet and achieve perfect balance.
The magnet is powerful enough and the rubber skin of the ball is soft enough that it won't move unless it's moved on purpose

In order to create some BTS footage that will actually be cut into the video for a few seconds, I backed through the wide shot from the tripod-mounted T3i / 10-22mm as the dancers followed me. Then I curved around and back through the dancers as they arrived at their places.
The stabilizer footage, and watching the stabilizer itself in the BTS shot was totally solid. And I wasn't even guiding the column, just holding the handle with one hand.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 08:36 PM   #19
Major Player

I was able to actually shoot some footage this evening after dinner for the first time.

I've got 5 days to practice before the promo shoot where I want to try and use this thing.

I was reading some site today where a guy was making the claim that instead of the 2-second drop test, balance it out to either (1) and 8 second drop time or (2) a static balance where it doesn't drop at all, for the most steady shots. I thought that was interesting.

I did up the weight on mine to 4 total plates (2 in front, and 2 in back) and also shortened the center column so that it's about 2" out from the main shaft.

The last couple of clips have this new configuration and it is smoother I think.

Old April 24th, 2015, 08:49 PM   #20
Trustee

Hey Kyle, looks good. Was all that at 11mm? And did the cat survive? Hehe!
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 12:04 PM   #21
Major Player

Thanks! Yes all at 11mm.

That crazy cat. I didn't know he was down there on my first time around that corner. I almost kicked him.

More practicing outside today before thunderstorms move in. It was actually dropping a little rain last night when I was shooting some of those shots outside.
Old April 25th, 2015, 12:54 PM   #22
Trustee

Hi Kyle, those results looked very good to me and you have just received the Glidecam, so you can only improve.
Thanks for the tips and link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Massengill View Post
Hey Kyle, looks good. Was all that at 11mm? And did the cat survive? Hehe!
Stupid question, what do you mean by 11mm?
Old April 25th, 2015, 04:09 PM   #23
Major Player

I was using a Tokina 11-16 F2.8 on the D750.

All those were shot at 11mm.

I did up it to 13mm to kind of try and minimize some of the wacky edge distortion look and will be trying that later. I've been a bit lazy today. Actually just woke up from an afternoon nap. lol
Old April 25th, 2015, 04:57 PM   #24
Trustee

:) I see, thanks
Old April 26th, 2015, 08:44 AM   #25
Major Player

Anthony, if you are looking at a Glidecam, then I would imagine you could get away with using a 1000 instead of the 2000 for the x70. As far as how long it takes to set up after the first time, it depends on how far you need to break it down to store. I would definitely get a quick release plate for the top, that will help with keeping things near where you left them. Beyond that, you should know how many weights and where you need to put them on the bottom. If you are only using one camera with it then the weights can just stay on. You can then mark the length of the pole with a sharpie so you know about where it needs to go. I have a 2000 and I fly a combination of a t3i and an xf305 on it. The t3i takes very few weights, the 305 takes every last one of them. I can't imagine you would need a vest for the set up you are going for, you should be just fine going hand held. And once you get it balanced the first time, every time after that should take 10 minutes at the very most.
Mark Koha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 10:35 AM   #26
Trustee

Thank you Mark, I appreciate you help and advice.
All that makes sense to me.
I have a quick release plate so that would leave it the bit handier then.
Yes, I would be using just the one camera on it.
If I was buying a camera in the future, it might be something along the lines of the x70.

Thanks.
Old May 19th, 2015, 09:52 AM   #27
Trustee

So, I got myself an RX10 to record a few extra clips at my weddings.
I'm trying to learn to go manual, other than the focus, I've this set at auto.

If I had the RX10 on a Glidecam or whatever stabilizer, do you use your DSLR on full auto when moving around recording?
Old May 21st, 2015, 12:42 PM   #28
Major Player

I have my camera set to Manual with my Aperture and Shutter Speed Set.

Depending on the situation, I'll either set it for AutoISO or regular manual ISO.

Focus is single point, non-continuous for me.
Old May 21st, 2015, 12:49 PM   #29
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Root View Post
I have my camera set to Manual with my Aperture and Shutter Speed Set.

Depending on the situation, I'll either set it for AutoISO or regular manual ISO.

Focus is single point, non-continuous for me.

Thanks Kyle, so, do you use a monitor while your recording?
How do you know if you over or under exposed?

Thank you.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 01:03 PM   #30
Major Player

I don't use a monitor. Most of the time, I don't seem to be moving in areas where I'm having vast exposure differences. I let auto ISO adjust when it's on as necessary and it seems to be pretty smart.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)