Gyro Stabilizer For HandyCam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old July 12th, 2015, 05:24 AM   #1
Major Player

Gyro Stabilizer For HandyCam

Hi,
I am looking for a stabilization solution for my Sony FDR-AX100 for use when a tripod is not an option when shooting from a ship in gusty wind conditions. I am looking at the Kenyon Labs offerings and it looks like their KS-4x4 kit ($2,595) would work except that if it's mounted directly to the bottom of the camera, its size would interfere with my wrist when in the handgrip. They rate this gyro for loads up to 5-8lbs. The camera is less than 3 pounds but I'm thinking a little more capacity might be good, especially if I want to use it with a heavier camera also. Is the double gyro needed or could I get by with a single KS-4, which might not interfere with my grip on the camera? If I do need the KS-4x4 (or KS-2x2), then I would probably need to find a shoulder rig to go with it. Whatever I get, it all needs to be able to fit in a medium-sized backpack and be easy to set up. Also, just how objectionable is the noise from the gyro? I saw a picture of someone shooting with a shoulder mount and the gyro was right next to her ear. For example, if on a "nature walk" with a group of tourists, will this gyro noise bother those around me?
Sorry, all I have are questions.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)