So what about the Osmo Z-Axis? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old April 18th, 2016, 07:34 AM   #1
Inner Circle

So what about the Osmo Z-Axis?

Don't know if you guys have checked this out yet but it looks like what I have been looking for Buy Osmo - Z-Axis | DJI Store I have been using my Osmo on professional projects here and there and for an occasional b-roll shot, it works pretty well when there is adequate light. But I noticed walking around NYC a few weeks ago, I am getting too much up and down motion when I walk with it. If I try to walk like I do with a Steadicam, very carefully, I get usable footage but even then, there is still too much up and down movement.

Not sure if this will help but I ordered one this morning so I will report back to you all if it does the trick or even makes a noticeable difference in my walking shots. Osmo, while it does have it's shortcomings (fan noise, battery hog, unusable audio, etc.) is still useful to me, especailly when one man banding it or when it is just needed for a quick shot. The quality in bright daylight is good enough and the stabilization is good enough for many situations. We'll see of the Z-Axis really does what DJI claims.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 03:20 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: So what about the Osmo Z-Axis?

I've ordered one as well. Whereas the Osmo does a fair jobof stabilising by itself, this new attachment could really make it a killer.
Also, since the last firmware upgrade, the fan can be set to switch itself off whilst recording. The battery life has also been extended.
Old May 4th, 2016, 08:27 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Updated the firmware, thanks for the heads up. Having the fan turn off for recording is so much better. I ordered the Z Axis on April 18th, no word yet on shipping so I spoke with DJI customer service. I am leaving on a big overseas shoot so they placed me on the priority list to receive it since when I ordered it, their website said, "Ships in 1-3 business days" and that was 17 days ago. Hopefully it will arrive before we leave for the trip, will really need it to shoot walking footage.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2016, 09:02 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Can't post the footage I shot due to NDA and the series doesn't premiere until the Fall but I shot some epic footage in Morocco on a very cool outdoor set. The Z-Axis performed like a champ. If you own an Osmo and have not yet bought the Z-Axis, get one, it really improves your footage, removing most of the bobbing when you walk. Great solution.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)