Steadicam Docking Bracket - What's your story? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 21st, 2017, 10:09 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Steadicam Docking Bracket - What's your story?

You built that in 1984! That would be my iconic image still in use even if I was a SOMEBODY like like you ;-)

Is there really a monitor down there on that that bracket or are you faking us all out with the cardboard shroud? I want to see your business card from those days. I'll bet it is just as classic.

Good stuff Charles. Keep it coming!

Kind Regards,

Steve
Old March 23rd, 2017, 01:03 AM   #17
Wrangler

Haha Steven! Yes, that was indeed a working monitor, of sorts. A Sinclair Microvision:

I got it used from an electronics store in NYC, bargained them down like a real champ, for an 18 yr old!

Can't say as I had a business card back then but a few years later I ran a string of fun ads. I came across a folder of them and put together a microsite with scans of my favorites:

Ads
Old March 24th, 2017, 10:34 PM   #18
Trustee

Charles,

Please do us all a favor and start a new thread with that link to your ads so we can all chime in about self promotion. I enjoyed every word and image on that site immensely. So much to learn from!

I will try to find and scan some of my old stuff. Unfortunately for me mine will be lessons to others in how not to do it. I have wasted thousands on print and post cards with almost a big fat ZERO on ROI. I am willing to share my failures and would love to see success/fails of others to learn from.

The biggest loss....I paid $10,000.00 in 1994 dollars for the inside cover of the Phoenix Convention Bureaus annual magazine. Meeting planners were the target of my AV technical direction services. The magazine was supposed to be seen by 40,000 of them with many coming to Phoenix. I only had the confidence to spend the $10,000.00 for the space because the add was designed by a big time Madison Ave. ad guy with clients like Coke and Ford (for real, but family friend deal). He told me to go for the inside cover and don't worry about a thing. The clients would be lining up at the door. Upon publication my phone rang off the hook. Everyone that called was trying to sell me more ad space! I never got one single call from a meeting planer. Live and learn. And I think there is much to be learned from your experience. Please share it in a proper thread where we all can gain from it.

Kind Regards,

Steve

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)