DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   General Question Regarding a Gimbal Stablizer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/535354-general-question-regarding-gimbal-stablizer.html)

Ed Fiebke February 10th, 2018 04:44 PM

General Question Regarding a Gimbal Stablizer

Hello -

I'm a happy and new owner of a Zhiyun Crane Plus gimbal to use with my happy Panasonic GH5 camera. Initial trial usage show great results, I am happy to report.

But. . .

Repacking this particular gimbal into its case requires that I un-set the balance settings in order for it to fit. Although not a horrific issue (for me), doing this requires that I re-balance the camera every time I unpack it. Needless to say, I'm becoming more proficient in balancing and re-balancing the GH5 with Zhiyun's Crane Plus gimbal.

My concern. . .

I wish to take this set-up (gimbal and camera) hiking with me in hopes to take lovely video recordings. I wouldn't necessarily take it on tough-terrain trails. There are plenty of scenic trails near where I live that aren't steep and rocky. It seems that I would need to do the balancing process prior to leaving for the hike. (Once balanced, I can turn the gimbal on, off, then back on and still have it maintain proper function.) If I was to repack the gimbal, it would require rebalancing and there would be no level table to use for doing this once at my destinations.

What would be the best and safest way to transport the balanced yet deactivated gimbal with the camera still attached to it??? Is it even reasonable to consider transporting this device not packed into its case and with the camera still attached to it??? (It scares me to even think about do this, quite honestly.) How do you deal with a gimbal when traveling to places where there are no ideal (level) places (like on a hiking trail or at the beach) to set it up with the camera???

Thank you in advance for your thoughtful comment(s).

Ed

Pete Cofrancesco February 11th, 2018 12:35 PM

Re: General Question Regarding a Gimbal Stablizer

Most people would use a GoPro or an osmo for a hiking video. Otherwise you would need a custom case that’s large enough to hold an assmbled crane.

Ed Fiebke February 12th, 2018 01:18 PM

Re: General Question Regarding a Gimbal Stablizer

I have an older GoPro which I've taken on hikes in the past. It certainly would be, and is, easier than the idea of using a gimbal stabilizer and GH5 camera together. However, the videos that I got from that GoPro were quite shakey. I plan on using my happy GoPro on future hikes, especially on the ones with the more rocky and steeper terrain. But there are very flat trails that are paved with asphalt which have lovely scenery, which I would love to use the gimbal stabilizer & GH 5 camera during a hike. Will do some research in having made a custom case made for the set-up. Didn't think of that. Thanks for the suggestion.