DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   HD100 with Gllidecam Smooth Shooter and 4000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/59742-hd100-gllidecam-smooth-shooter-4000-a.html)

Tim Holtermann February 2nd, 2006 09:25 PM

HD100 with Gllidecam Smooth Shooter and 4000

Has anyone worked with their HD100 and the Glidecam Smooth Shooter plus the 4000 pro? Any quick pointers on the number of weights to add to the bottom, etc. would be handy.

I know it won't get us perfect but maybe shave off some of the balancing act.

Thanks in Advance.

Terry Thompson February 2nd, 2006 11:19 PM

Tim,

Hold the 4000 with the camera firmly attached horizontally as if you are going to do a drop-time balance then add or subtract weights (equally to both sides) to where the rig is just a bit bottom heavy. Then adjust the extendable post up or down to achieve a final drop-time balance of 2-3 seconds.

I hope this helps.

Tery
www.indicam.com

Tim Holtermann February 3rd, 2006 12:31 AM

Terry,

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try. You would think they would post a general guideline for how much weight is needed per camera weight. i.e. 6lb camera X number of plates, 10lb camera X number of plates, and so on.

I'm using the HD100 with Matte Box, Rods (no follow focus), stock lens and all other camera accessories on so it's a heavy camera. I probably just need to add more weight.

Terry Thompson February 3rd, 2006 11:04 AM

Tim,

I'm sure the reason they don't post camera weights and how many bottom weights to use is because there are too many cameras out there and too many different configurations. Your set-up is a perfect example: Camera, matte box, rods, and all other camera accessories. How much added weight is that? Sounds like you're going to be doing some heavy filming.

If you follow the previous recommendation you will find it will help a lot. With our rig (Indicam Pilot) we just adjust the gimbal position to achieve a good drop-time balance but the 2000 and 4000 Pro don't have adjustable gimbals-just an adjustable extension post. You can at least use that for "fine tuning".

Tery

Tim Holtermann February 3rd, 2006 11:25 AM

Yeah, it's not the lightest configuration. It's too bad I didn't know about your product before getting the glidecam. I like your double spring arm configuration and the price is good.

Makes me want to try yours and compare the two.

Terry Thompson February 3rd, 2006 02:00 PM

Tim,

Hey...the price is great! Incidently, my sled fits the Smooth Shooter and my arm system holds the 2000 and 4000 Pro.

I would love to do a comparison between the two. Did you get the 4000 with the Smooth Shooter?

If you live around N. California we can get together someplace convenient.

Also, I will be at NAB in Las Vegas this year from April 24th til the 27th. If you can get there it would make a good place to do some comparisons as well as seeing all the cool new equipment. I'm trying to get Cody Deegan to join me but he doesn't know if he can find the time. He'll know more as we get closer to April.

Tery

Tim Holtermann February 5th, 2006 10:49 PM

Terry,

I'm in southern CA but I'm sure we could work out a time to get together. I should be at NAB too, so a shoot out ("rig out") would be fun.

Now you just need to make a camera crane as we need to get one of those too ;)

Let's touch base off forums and see how it goes.

Terry Thompson February 6th, 2006 11:55 AM

Tim,

I'm looking at coming down to S. Cal around March 9-11 to the Videomaker Expo. It's being held at the Hilton Burbank Airpot and Convention Center. I was there last year and had a good time.

The best thing we did was the "make a movie" night where they give you a topic and you have 30 minutes to make a movie. We came in second but really should have come in first as our video was the most interesting, creative, and best shot. I used my Indicam Pilot stabilizer and it turned out good. Now for this year...

I just have to make motel reservations if it's not too late.

Tery