Support This! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 9th, 2006, 04:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Support This!

Okay so, I have been looking at the Glidecams. And I have a GL2 at the moment, but I may get an XL2 pretty soon. So my question is, can I get the Glidecam 4000 Pro and still mount my GL2 on it. Thanks in advance.
~Matt
Old February 13th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #2
Regular Crew

okay....well has anyone ever attached a GL2 to the Glidcam 4000 Pro?
Old February 14th, 2006, 03:59 PM   #3
Wrangler

The 4000 is really designed for larger cameras. I have a GC 2000, and it would be the right size for your GL2. Have never used a GC 4000, but I wonder if it might be hard to balance with a smaller camera like the GL2.

Have you ever used the Glidecam or another handheld stabilizer? It is quite difficult, even with a camera the size of the GL2. Unless you're really strong I think it will be hard to shoot for even as long as a minute at a time with a big camera like the XL2....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 04:26 PM   #4
Major Player

you can use the gl2 on the gc4000 by adding some weight on top. as boyd stated, a gc4000/xl2 would be unusable for any useful period of time because of the sheer weight. you would need a vest/arm, like the smooth shooter/gc4000 combo, for this class of camera.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 01:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Cho
you can use the gl2 on the gc4000 by adding some weight on top. as boyd stated, a gc4000/xl2 would be unusable for any useful period of time because of the sheer weight. you would need a vest/arm, like the smooth shooter/gc4000 combo, for this class of camera.
I plan buying the smooth shooter. I was just trying to figure out if I would have to eventually end up buying both or if I could save $300 and just buy the GC 4000. Yea it would be quite heavy. Thanks for your help.
Old December 29th, 2006, 11:22 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I ended up buying the GC 2000 and the DV Sporster. Although, I wish I had gotten the GC 4000 because by the time I add the WA lens, the super-duper battery pack, the shotgun mike and the DXA, I have trouble balancing it--too much weight on the top. Guess I need to upgrade at some point :O
Old February 11th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #7
Major Player

Matt,

You could go to a good hardware store and buy some extra bottom plate weights for the time being. You can also drop the extension post that will help in a top heavy system.

Terry
Indicam

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)