wanting to buy a Merlin - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 10th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #31
Major Player

For you folks who have been using these devices with a PD-170 type camera, what would you say about the fatigue factor. I'm talking about wedding use where it has to be hand-held with no robo extension arm contraptions. Does it require longer stays at the gym?
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #32
Major Player

I'm not sure how heavy the PD170 is, I'm using it with a DVX100a. That's at the top end of what the Merlin will handle, so I end up at a total weight of over ten pounds. It doesn't sound like a needing the gym weight, but the first time I did a 4 hour afternoon with it I woke up the next day wondering why I was so stiff. It got better after a while though.
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Harotunian
For you folks who have been using these devices with a PD-170 type camera, what would you say about the fatigue factor. I'm talking about wedding use where it has to be hand-held with no robo extension arm contraptions. Does it require longer stays at the gym?

You aren't always going to be in "flying mode". The beauty of the JR and Merlin is that it can be folded/collapsed to enter shoulder mounted mode when you don't need to be moving around.

This is very comfortable and stable and a bonus feature of JR/Merlin.

When you are ready to move again, you just quickly unfold it and go back to work.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 03:05 AM   #34
Regular Crew

I've been using a PD-150 with a JR for nearly a year and don't go to the gym! Seriously, provided you don't expect to do very long shots and take a few breaks this sort of weight (about 10 pounds with W/A lens , battery etc ) is no real problem. It's not the same as using a shoulder-mounted cam that you can cart about all day though, but then you don;t get the fluid moving shots!

As the previous poster says, you can always fold it up and handhold, or use a tripod when you need a rest!

Hope this helps
Graham Risdon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)