DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   wanting to buy a Merlin (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/60531-wanting-buy-merlin.html)

Ethan Cooper February 12th, 2006 07:26 PM

wanting to buy a Merlin

I was in the market for a Merlin but B&H is out. Where else are you guys buying them?

Rob Wilson February 12th, 2006 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper
I was in the market for a Merlin but B&H is out. Where else are you guys buying them?

Ethan,

Just keep watching B&H, I ordered from them last week. I had signed up for email notification of when they were in stock but never received an email. Just have to check back frequently.

Ethan Cooper February 12th, 2006 11:52 PM

thanks Rob,

I'm going back and forth about dropping $800 on the Merlin. Anyone want to convince me that it's way better than the JR. Is there something else out on the market that I should know about?

Mikko Wilson February 13th, 2006 01:21 AM

It's way better then the JR.

Lighter, stronger (more ridged). Easer to trim...

I think the fact that they can't keep them in stock has to speak for something too! :-)

- Mikko

Graham Risdon February 13th, 2006 02:18 PM

Hi Mikko

I use a JR and you're right - it's not very robust. Problem with the Merlin is that it doesn't have a monitor - or is this not a real problem?

I currently use a PD150 which has a flip out monitor but trying it with the JR makes it impossible to balance!

Any comments..

Ethan Cooper February 13th, 2006 03:08 PM

Graham,
I was wondering the same thing about the flip out LCD. I'm guessing there is a way to adjust for this shift in weight. Right? Any Merlin owners care to address this one?

Tim Langston February 13th, 2006 03:34 PM

If you're coming from a jr, the only thing you have to remember, flip that monitor out before adjusting trim. I've done this twice now....thinking I had a problem with something slipping. I was dead set against not having a monitor on the rig itself, but using the cameras monitor brings it closer to your eyes. I'm really liking it!!! And NO more little vibrations while walking fast.

The only small problem is setting it down, I have to lay the camera on it's side or use the quick release and take off the stage. Maybe Tiffen will come out with a new Merlin case that will hold the Merlin and your camera upright.

It's a tough call, $800 is a bunch but if you have an older jr that's seen alot of action, I think it's worth it!

Tim

Mikko Wilson February 13th, 2006 03:34 PM

I'm not a Merlin owner but I'll chime in again.

Yes you can balance the merlin for a number of cameras, the flip out screen is not a problem.
You have a good choice of camera mounting holds on the stage, and then a fine trim that is so easy that you can even adjust while flying! - Try that with any other handheld rig!

- Mikko

Ethan Cooper February 13th, 2006 04:19 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I downloaded the users manual off Tiffen's site and got the answer to my flip out screen question. I'm all giddy about getting a Merlin, now if B&H would just cooperate and get some in stock.
I've never used one of these things before, but am looking foreward to many hours of shooting test footage. My wife and I shoot weddings as a side business and it'll be nice to finally be able to pull off some of the shots I've been seeing in my head but couldn't quite pull off.
Come on B&H... I've got $$ I'm just waiting to throw at you.

Travis Cossel February 14th, 2006 02:24 AM

I hadn't seen this stabilizer before. What are the advantages of getting this versus a regular GlideCam 2000 (I use Canon GL2's)?

Rob Wilson February 15th, 2006 10:38 PM

Ethan,

Received my Merlin yesterday and the email below today.

No problem adjusting the balance with the LCD extended, in fact, that is they way they recommend it (and it really is required).

I'm using a GL2 with it and I'm quickly learning that owning a steadicam DOES NOT automatically make you a steadicam operator. It's going to take some practice to get it down. With just a hour of two working with it, I've been really impressed with what you can do though.

I'm still having a problem with the balance in that when I move side to side, the cam tends to pendulum (roll?). It's going to take a while to learn what a really well balanced rig is suppose to feel like.

Dear Customer

Thank you for your inquiry for this item:
Steadicam - STM - Merlin Camera Stabilization System

We would like to inform you that this item is now available from bhphotovideo.com.

Check it out:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/sitem/sk...&is=REG&bi=E15

If the above link does not work, please copy and paste this item code STM into our search box located on the upper left-hand corner of the page throughout our web site.

If you plan on visiting our retail Superstore in person, please call to confirm that the item is still in stock before you arrive. The demands on our inventory prevent us from guaranteeing that this item will be here when you arrive.

Thank you,
The B&H Web Team
www.bhphotovideo.com
420 Ninth Avenue
New York, NY 10001, USA
800-606-6969
212-444-6615

Ethan Cooper February 15th, 2006 11:10 PM

B&H had them for the grand total of one day. They're listed as "out of stock" again. I was ready to snap one up but my wife got cold feet at the last second. Ahhh the joys of being married.
As a side note, I never got my email from B&H. Wonder what that's all about.

Graham Risdon February 16th, 2006 02:22 AM

Anyone in the UK found a supplier for Merlin - I see from their website that Optex appear to have gone into liquidation...

Bob Harotunian February 21st, 2006 07:18 AM

[QUOTE=Rob Wilson]Ethan,

Received my Merlin yesterday and the email below today.

Rob,
Would really appreciate more comments from you in the future with regard to the Merlin. I need a stabiliser and am investigating options now. I'll be using a heavier camera (PD-170) and was also concerned about any balancing problem with a WA lens.
Thanks,
Bob

Michael Stevenson February 25th, 2006 01:47 AM

Might I suggest going straight to the manufacturer The Tiffen Company? I am sure they would be able to accomadate you. Start here: www.steadicam.com

Michael

Ethan Cooper February 25th, 2006 09:16 PM

Maybe you can help me

Michael,
Ordering from Tiffen costs more than ordering through B&H. I'll just wait on B&H.
There's a reason I'm buying a Merlin... I'm poor. I can put that extra $50 to use elsewhere.
Thanks for the idea though.

Terry Thompson March 6th, 2006 12:17 AM

Rob,

There were never truer words said...
"I'm using a GL2 with it and I'm quickly learning that owning a steadicam DOES NOT automatically make you a steadicam operator. It's going to take some practice to get it down. With just a hour of two working with it, I've been really impressed with what you can do though.

I'm still having a problem with the balance in that when I move side to side, the cam tends to pendulum (roll?). It's going to take a while to learn what a really well balanced rig is suppose to feel like."

============================

I'm sure your pendulum swing is caused by an overly heavy bottom-not you, the Merlin. It's much easier to balance any rig if it's bottom heavy but that doesn't give you the best results nor is it the way it's designed to work. I suppose you will have had this problem fixed by now. It must be covered in the set-up guide If not, let us know.

Tery

Robin Davies-Rollinson March 6th, 2006 01:21 AM

I'm interested in trying out the Merlin - can you guys who've used one tell me about the actual camera mounting. I keep the Manfrotto baseplate on my FX1 always, so is there a plate adapter for this, or do I have to keep taking it off the camera and use a specific Merlin plate?

Robin

Mikko Wilson March 6th, 2006 05:35 AM

Merlin QR plate

The Merlin uses a special dovetail plate to moun the camera. You can of course put a manfrotto QR plate in there if you want, but there's no need..

The Merlin comes with a special little tripod adapter plate that you mount on yoru tripod. You can then swtich the camera betweenteh merlin and tripod as you wish (just like a QR plate) - but that's included with the kit! :)

- Mikko

Robin Davies-Rollinson March 7th, 2006 01:18 AM

Kiitos, Mikko!

Robin

Kris Holodak March 8th, 2006 11:07 AM

The Merlin in use... sort of

I pre-ordered a Merlin from B&H in late September and it arrived around Christmas. I spent a bunch of time in January (I made myself do a half an hour a day) circling the office trying to get it balanced right and get used to using it. I'm a complete novice having never even seen a seadicam rig of any flavor in person before.

Then I had a week in Feb when I was using it every afternoon for several hours for 6 days straight. (I had a second camera on a tripod as well knowing I'd get mixed results with this.) What I found when I logged the tapes was that Monday looked pretty seasick, but by Thursday I had stuff I could use.

So my advice is definitely get one if you've got the budget. It's great and I love it. However, try not to get frustrated the first time you try to balance it if you've never done such things before. It wasn't nearly as easy as they made it look on the DVD. And practice practice practice. The practice itself is fun and eventually you'll get better and maybe even good. I keep telling my boss that anyway.

Smile,
Kris

Tim Ribich March 8th, 2006 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kris Holodak
...So my advice is definitely get one if you've got the budget. It's great and I love it. However, try not to get frustrated the first time you try to balance it if you've never done such things before. It wasn't nearly as easy as they made it look on the DVD. And practice practice practice. The practice itself is fun and eventually you'll get better and maybe even good. I keep telling my boss that anyway.

Smile,
Kris

Hi Kris,

Got a Merlin 101 type question.

I actually did play with one a bit at the PMA in Orlando last week and could see both the potential benefits and learning curve people speak of.

Others were waiting so I didn't spend that much time w/ it, but my question is does it work at an angle? Is there any way to, for example, walk behind/beside a pet (dog/cat) with the cam pointed down to the ground? I meant to go back and check this but got distracted by all the other toys there that day...

Rob Wilson March 8th, 2006 12:07 PM

Tim,

Sure, you can set the balance so that it pitches up or down naturally. It wouldn't really be possible to do during a shot but easily accomplished beforehand.

Kris Holodak March 8th, 2006 01:04 PM

Yeah. I'm not particularly tall and have to balance it tilted slightly up so that I'm looking people in the face and not in the tie tack. Even for extreme angles it ought to work if you've got the balance trimmed right.

Rob's point is worth noting. You are locked into that tilt for the duration of that shot, but can re-trim it between shots.

Tim Ribich March 8th, 2006 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kris Holodak
Yeah. I'm not particularly tall and have to balance it tilted slightly up so that I'm looking people in the face and not in the tie tack. Even for extreme angles it ought to work if you've got the balance trimmed right.

Rob's point is worth noting. You are locked into that tilt for the duration of that shot, but can re-trim it between shots.

Thanks, Kris (and Rob). That makes sense.

I did happen to walk by a tech radio station booth that was broadcasting at PMA and interviewing the Merlin guy. A lot of bubbly enthusiasm (aka "marketing hype"). Not unlike their brochure I picked up that states:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brochure
>>"With an almost-sensuous click, the lower spar instantly folds up and magically disappears up alongside the camera, perfect for shoulder-mounted shooting."<<

"Almost-sensuous click"?! "magically"?! Good grief-- cool, but a bit over the top I would say...

John C. Chu March 8th, 2006 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Ribich

"Almost-sensuous click"?! "magically"?! Good grief-- cool, but a bit over the top I would say...

I've been playing with the JR for a long while, [though I do not profess to be an expert]...And from my experience is that when you have the JR[and I would imagine the Merlin] dialed-in exactly and perfectly.... operating a Steadicam JR is a really wonderful sensory experience.

Because, you are one with the machine.[I know that is a cliche--but's its true]
You can get into the zone...and enter a zen-like state with it.[the other machine I've experienced it with is a high quality road bicycle like a Cannondale back in the day]

I'm not kidding. It is "athletic" in that you are coordinating/dancing/choreographing yourself and your footsteps to get that beautiful tracking shot around the subject

You can boom up and down, instantly, and pan left and right and all while on the move.

Get one...and you will understand. ;-)

Tim Ribich March 8th, 2006 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John C. Chu
I've been playing with the JR for a long while, [though I do not profess to be an expert]...And from my experience is that when you have the JR[and I would imagine the Merlin] dialed-in exactly and perfectly.... operating a Steadicam JR is a really wonderful sensory experience.

Because, you are one with the machine.[I know that is a cliche--but's its true]
You can get into the zone...and enter a zen-like state with it.[the other machine I've experienced it with is a high quality road bicycle like a Cannondale back in the day]

I'm not kidding. It is "athletic" in that you are coordinating/dancing/choreographing yourself and your footsteps to get that beautiful tracking shot around the subject

You can boom up and down, instantly, and pan left and right and all while on the move.

Get one...and you will understand. ;-)

Heyyyy... weren't you the guy doing that radio interview at PMA?! <g>

Well shoot, that's a pretty glowing review. You do realize that posts like this are bound to cost me $$$$ in the long run !

Thanks for the input.

Mikko Wilson March 8th, 2006 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Ribich
I did happen to walk by a tech radio station booth that was broadcasting at PMA and interviewing the Merlin guy.

Tim, was it this guy?: http://wilson.pp.fi/mikko/photos/fly...t_IBC-2004.jpg (on the right)

- Mikko

Tim Ribich March 8th, 2006 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikko Wilson
Tim, was it this guy?: http://wilson.pp.fi/mikko/photos/fly...t_IBC-2004.jpg (on the right)

- Mikko

Hmmm... I don't believe so. Is that Garrett Brown?

The fellow I saw doing the radio interview was younger.

Mikko Wilson March 8th, 2006 04:12 PM

Yes that's Garrett.
Not sure who it was then.

- Mikko

Bob Harotunian March 10th, 2006 08:49 AM

For you folks who have been using these devices with a PD-170 type camera, what would you say about the fatigue factor. I'm talking about wedding use where it has to be hand-held with no robo extension arm contraptions. Does it require longer stays at the gym?

Kris Holodak March 10th, 2006 09:36 AM

I'm not sure how heavy the PD170 is, I'm using it with a DVX100a. That's at the top end of what the Merlin will handle, so I end up at a total weight of over ten pounds. It doesn't sound like a needing the gym weight, but the first time I did a 4 hour afternoon with it I woke up the next day wondering why I was so stiff. It got better after a while though.

John C. Chu March 10th, 2006 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Harotunian
For you folks who have been using these devices with a PD-170 type camera, what would you say about the fatigue factor. I'm talking about wedding use where it has to be hand-held with no robo extension arm contraptions. Does it require longer stays at the gym?

You aren't always going to be in "flying mode". The beauty of the JR and Merlin is that it can be folded/collapsed to enter shoulder mounted mode when you don't need to be moving around.

This is very comfortable and stable and a bonus feature of JR/Merlin.

When you are ready to move again, you just quickly unfold it and go back to work.

Graham Risdon March 11th, 2006 03:05 AM

I've been using a PD-150 with a JR for nearly a year and don't go to the gym! Seriously, provided you don't expect to do very long shots and take a few breaks this sort of weight (about 10 pounds with W/A lens , battery etc ) is no real problem. It's not the same as using a shoulder-mounted cam that you can cart about all day though, but then you don;t get the fluid moving shots!

As the previous poster says, you can always fold it up and handhold, or use a tripod when you need a rest!

Hope this helps