Who has a Steadicam Merlin? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old August 4th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #61
Regular Crew

Canon XH A1

I've had my Merlin for a couple of months, but haven't used it much with my older Sony cam - I've put my name on the list for the new Canon XH A1. Any thoughts or input about how this might fly with the weight, etc? Should I consider a larger rig?

Another question considering the previous post - is there a system with an arm and a vest that will connect with the Merlin? I read that there was one in the works...

I will also work on getting together some footage and learning how to post it to the site...

Don
Donald White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 08:43 PM   #62
Major Player

Based on the weight and shape of the camera, I'm confident that the Canon A1 and G1 will fly perfectly on the Merlin. I think they will handle similarly to the FX1.

I understand that there is a lightweight vest & arm in the works for the Merlin. But I don't know any more than that.

- Mikko
Old August 5th, 2006, 04:10 AM   #63
Regular Crew

i dont know anything about this vest except what i noticed here

http://www.varizoom.com/products/sta...vzdvsport.html

While not listing the Merlin, it may be worth asking them !

Given most of these systems seem to support the stabiliser by a 'pole' up the handle, i'm interested to know if the Merlin handle is up to the job anyway...

i've been tempted to rig a lighting stand with a manfrotto arm so i could rest the fx1 on merlin onto it via a pole into the tube that runs up the handle.....the shop where i got the merlin said i could do this, but i've been nervous of the strength of construction on the merlin handle.

Does anyone know if this is safe with an fx1?
Michael Donne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 08:14 AM   #64
Major Player

The Merlin should be fully exchangebale with the JR on 3rd party support systems.

The hole in the handle is in deed created for docking. There is a docking bracket available from Tiffen. You can also dock the Merlin on a Flyer or Archer (as I do with mine) balancing stand.

You can actually fly the Merlin on a Flyer arm!

- Mikko
Old August 5th, 2006, 08:47 AM   #65
Regular Crew

Merlin on a Flyer... hmm

That's exciting - & gets the old mind a'workin.
The Steadicam site shows the vest priced separately, but not the arm... can you get it without the sled too?

Also, since I'm a big guy with a long torso - are there big differences in how the vests fit as far as the adjustments & comfort? I'm wanting to take the next step with a stabilizer system & therefore looking at all options - the only system I've seen locally is the Navigator.

Thanks,
Don
Old August 5th, 2006, 10:06 AM   #66
Major Player

Nope, Unluckily the Flyer arm can't be sold without the sled and vest. Trust me, I've tried.
Tom Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 02:42 PM   #67
Regular Crew

well shucks! I thought I could get my foot in the door by purchasing a piece at a time...

thanks.
Old August 5th, 2006, 02:50 PM   #68
Major Player

You sure can do that, but you just won't get yourself a Flyer. It's real easy to find some old sled parts, arm parts, and vest parts, and begin putting together a rig for yourself. Heck, it only took me 2 days to source a topstage and a dovetail plate for my rig when mine stopped working.
Tom Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2006, 05:44 PM   #69
Tourist

I have been flying a Sony HDR-HC1 on the Merlin. Of course, I did some rough shots around the house to get the feel and setup of Merlin. My first real practice run was, literally, running around chasing my friend's dogs. It's one thing to follow people; you kinda know what they are going to do. Following dogs is a whole different experience.

You can check out one of my chase shots here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...82911777&hl=en

The shot starts out by walking behind or next to the dog. He tries to lose me by walking faster, then by running, but I'm able to keep up with him and (more or less) keep him in frame.

I'm going to upload some more Merlin videos soon.
David Cuebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2006, 06:50 PM   #70
Regular Crew

That's some nice footage. I'd be very concerned that the dog would stop suddenly and run at me. Bad things happen when the dog does that if you're not ready. :) Good stuff.

Cheers!
Greg Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 07:05 AM   #71
Regular Crew

nice dogs...nice flying :)
Tom McDougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 02:01 PM   #72
Major Player

Good looking footage there David.
Still some tameing to do on the operating. Though the faster shots looked good. - Faster is easier than slow, though.

Just be carefull when running around like that, you mind is busy shooting and you can easily trip and fall.

It's always a good idea to scout out and rehearse running shots if possible - or at least know the area. Can't rehearse with dogs, but it's your own back yard which you know well I presume. :)

Thanks for the footage and keep on shooting!

- Mikko
Old August 8th, 2006, 06:43 AM   #73
Regular Crew

Great flying David! I'm loving my Merlin. I recently filmed a wedding with it and got all kinds of curious looks. Even the photographer was simply amazed (he also does videography) and is thinking of getting one too after seeing me fly mine the event. Post up some more footage David!
Armin DeFiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #74
Major Player

I signed up for DVChallenge #5 for the express purpose of practicing with my Merlin before I needed to do anything real for work.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=heron+media

I was happy enough with it for my first effort that I pulled it out for a real work project later. It just got posted to be the first episode of a podcast, so to be honest I'm not sure if the direct link will work, but here it is. The merlin work comes near the end. I shot with it more than ended up getting used. But the one follow shot we did use I liked.
http://podcast.rbn.com/kennedy/artse..._hall_tour.m4v
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 02:15 AM   #75
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Holodak
I signed up for DVChallenge #5 for the express purpose of practicing with my Merlin before I needed to do anything real for work.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=heron+media

I was happy enough with it for my first effort that I pulled it out for a real work project later. It just got posted to be the first episode of a podcast, so to be honest I'm not sure if the direct link will work, but here it is. The merlin work comes near the end. I shot with it more than ended up getting used. But the one follow shot we did use I liked.
http://podcast.rbn.com/kennedy/artse..._hall_tour.m4v
Hi Kris,

Nice video of the Kennedy Center! What cameras do you use? Lighting is very good!
Paul Leung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)