DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Glidecam 2000 or 4000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/62652-glidecam-2000-4000-a.html)

Steven Davis March 12th, 2006 08:54 AM

Glidecam 2000 or 4000

Simple question: I have a GL2 now, I plan to upgrade this year to probably the FX1 or the Z1U (I haven't made the choice yet)

So if I buy a glidecam prior to upgrading, should I get the 4000 and use it with my GL2 as my plan is to get a heavier camera, or will the GL2 just be too light, and the 2000 would be the better choice? I always rather purchase for the future.

I appreciate any help I could get today, I have a line on a good deal of a glidecam 2000.

Michael Claerbout March 12th, 2006 09:41 AM

Hi Steven,

as i remember the 4000 needs a minimum wait and the gl2 is not heavy enough for it. But the 2000 won't be able to handle alot more then an gl2 camera. So you have a problem.

I would buy the 4000 version, and try to add weight to my gl2, you could easly add something on the center top off the camera.

Hope this helps you out

greets

Michaël.

Mike Teutsch March 12th, 2006 09:59 AM

Steven,

The simple way to look at this is to determine the weight of the camera you intend to get, listed in its specs, and add the weight of any accessories you plan to add to the camera. Then go to the Glidecam specs, and see if it exceeds the weight for the 2000, and you need to go for the 4000.

A 2000 will not handle a Canon XL1 or XL2, but I believe it will work fine with the FX1 etc.. Just verify the weight.

Good Luck,

Mike

Joe Allen Rosenberger March 13th, 2006 01:12 AM

dont add weight to the camera itself as it sounds like you're saying.....add some weight plates that can go under the camera quick release.....that is easier and cleaner. you dont want a bunch of unneeded stuff mounted to your cam just to "add" weight.....not the smart way of doing it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Claerbout
Hi Steven,

as i remember the 4000 needs a minimum wait and the gl2 is not heavy enough for it. But the 2000 won't be able to handle alot more then an gl2 camera. So you have a problem.

I would buy the 4000 version, and try to add weight to my gl2, you could easly add something on the center top off the camera.

Hope this helps you out

greets

Michaël.

Mikko Wilson March 13th, 2006 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Allen Rosenberger
dont add weight to the camera itself as it sounds like you're saying.....add some weight plates that can go under the camera quick release.....that is easier and cleaner. you dont want a bunch of unneeded stuff mounted to your cam just to "add" weight.....not the smart way of doing it.

Actually, the forthur away from the pivot point a mass is, the more "leverage" it will have. Meaning that on a stabilizer it's perferable to add mass furthur away from the gimble as it will have a greater stabilizing effect (that's why the counterweights are furthur away than the camera, you need less of them).

In the case of adding weight to a light camera, it is in deed preferable to add less wight on top of the camera to more weight under it. - As you of course don't want to carry more than you have to.

With the (locked) gimble position on a Glidecam, the mass on top of a GL camera will have almost double the stabilizing effect as below the camera.

- Mikko

Joe Allen Rosenberger March 13th, 2006 02:31 AM

i understand that...but what is one to do w/ a gl2 on a 4000 pro.....besides adding wide angle and a couple other accessories, i have never seen or heard of anyone adding weights to the top of the cam itself.....im not saying you cant but i have never seen it or have i heard of anyone doing it. where would you add weights(to the top) as youre saying.....explain? thanks mikko.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikko Wilson
Actually, the forthur away from the pivot point a mass is, the more "leverage" it will have. Meaning that on a stabilizer it's perferable to add mass furthur away from the gimble as it will have a greater stabilizing effect (that's why the counterweights are furthur away than the camera, you need less of them).

In the case of adding weight to a light camera, it is in deed preferable to add less wight on top of the camera to more weight under it. - As you of course don't want to carry more than you have to.

With the (locked) gimble position on a Glidecam, the mass on top of a GL camera will have almost double the stabilizing effect as below the camera.

- Mikko

Mikko Wilson March 13th, 2006 05:46 AM

There are only 2 reasons to add weight to the cam:
1. To add mass to increase stability if needed - like for a tough or bumpy move.
2. And more importantly (not a choice) if the camera is too light to balance on the rig otherwise. I don't think you'd need to add much to balance a GC - just put less counterweight on the bottom. It's more of an issue with rigs with fixed counterweights like a monitor and battery.

- Mikko

Steven Davis March 13th, 2006 05:49 AM

Thank you for all the input, I decided not to purchase the 2000 since I do plan to upgrade my camera.

Your comments were very helpful.