DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   XL-H1 Must Sell GlidecamSmoothshooter? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/63033-xl-h1-must-sell-glidecamsmoothshooter.html)

John Benton March 16th, 2006 07:59 PM

XL-H1 Must Sell GlidecamSmoothshooter?

I got a glidecam smoothshooter 2 months ago in anticipation of the HVX.
While I Love the Smoothshooter (!) I chose the Canon H1 over the HVX.
and the Canon (weighing in at around 8.5 pounds) feels like it is pushing the limits of the smoothshooter weight (supposedly up to 10 pound camera).

- Any experience with this?
- It is hurting my back (& I'm a fairly strong guy)
- Should I sell the Smoothshooter ? And then go up to what? (a 4000$ steadicam is a bit much for me to swallow at this point...)

Suggestions?

Thanks,
John Benton

Terry Thompson March 17th, 2006 12:35 AM

John,

How do you know you're at the Smooth Shooters limit?
Do you have a problem balancing the sled with the camera on it?

With regards to the back problem...

Does the belt (lower) part of the vest hook just above your hips or higher up?
Do you have the sled in front of you or to the side?
Is the sled held close to your body or away from your body?

By the way the Steadicam Flyer sells for around $6800. What Steadicam are you thinking costs $4000?

Tery

John Benton March 17th, 2006 08:12 AM

Thanks Terry -

Though I am technically not at the Smoothshooter limit - It just feels too heavy.
- I have tightened the springs - I have adjusted the vest (I tried it riding both below and right above my hips - the latter seems better)
- and I am only able to comfortably use it for 5- 10 minutes at a stretch
- Also I have Huge balancing problems! Every time I think I have it almost perfectly balanced...not such luck, it falls in every direction.

... I think I was thinking about the next level up from Glidecam V-16/V-20

Terry Thompson March 17th, 2006 11:15 AM

John,

Might be a good idea. Because the Glidecam's do not have an adjustable gimbal it's harder to get a "drop time" balance.

You're right...just above the hips so you don't get as much hip action in your rig.

When you have the system on and are standing mostly straight up, does the arm and sled want to swing away from you? If so, how hard?

I flew an XL1 on the system we build which is at it's weight limit and didn't have any problems with fatigue after 45 minutes. Actually I was quite comfortable but then I might have developed the lower back muscles that tend to get sore. Maybe you just need some more time to do the same. You can be strong but still not have certain muscles developed.

I think if a system floats a camera then it can handle the camera. Try using it some each day for a week and then see what you think.

Tery

John Steele March 18th, 2006 08:06 AM

John, you are just feeling the effects of the heavier camera, going to something like the V25 which is (well)above the V16/V20 and $8k(until 1st May when it becomes $10k)won't make life any easier, the average sweet spot for a rig that will take heavier camera is much more weight than you're experiencing now so things will just get worse for your back. The only thing you can do is use it often to build up "that muscle" in your back that is causing you the problem doesn't matter how strong you are steadicam uses muscles that don't normally have that kind of strain.

Can you explain in more detail the balancing problem you have? What do you mean "it falls in every direction"

This is all perfectly normal, I'd stick with the SS for now it won't get any easier trust me :)

John.

John Benton March 18th, 2006 10:24 AM

Great advice everyone,

Yes, perhaps it is just going to take more practice and strength.
which I will try - I was really not looking forward to trying to find a heavier rig - so this is good news , I guess.

The balancing problem probably has to do with the size and shape of the Canon H1. It is very hard to balance and when I get it close, it still falls in some random (& unexpected) direction.

I may need to increase the sled weight, but I am using all the washers...
?

John Steele March 18th, 2006 10:27 AM

Whats your drop time John, if you're using all the washers and it's still top heavy then you'll need to extend the post which should bring it into line.

Leigh Wanstead March 18th, 2006 01:10 PM

Hi John,

I have talked to a guy on Friday. He was using front mount vest. He told me that in his front mount vest, he can last 15 minutes. He is very stronger than me. I once used my SmoothArm and holding a jvc gy-dv5000 package which weighs around 6.25kg for two hours without taking it off. I am constantly wearing it for one hour without issues. I don't feel any back pain whatever.

Regards
Leigh

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Benton
- It is hurting my back (& I'm a fairly strong guy)
John Benton

John Benton March 18th, 2006 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Steele
Whats your drop time John, if you're using all the washers and it's still top heavy then you'll need to extend the post which should bring it into line.

Thanks John,
I will check it as soon as I get back to base camp - Tuesday - & let you know...
I think it is 1.5 seconds or so - Extending the arm is a great idea !
J