Problems Contacting Glidecam? and V25 Question. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 13th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #1
Major Player

Problems Contacting Glidecam? and V25 Question.

Hey everyone. I'm just curious if I'm the only one having problems getting in touch with Glidecam. I've tried calling them every day over two weeks (about 2-3 times a day) and nobody ever picks up the phone. This could be either a good sign (sales are soo good that they're swamped) or bad (indication of a failing business). Anyone else have this problem?

I sent an email today which I hope is answered, but I'm not holding my breath.

So, the bottom line is I am interested in purchasing the V25 system, but I have some questions I need to have answered first. If there are any other V25 owners out ther that can answer these questions, I'd be very grateful!

1) I heard that the V25 is backordered, any news on when they'll be shipping them again?
2) Is there a low mount and/or car mount kit available for it? Is it the same as the gold series kits, or the other V series kits?
3) What are the quantity and types of inputs/outputs on the L7Pro monitor?
4) Can you run the monitor and a wireless transmitter at the same time (via outputs on the monitor or other on-board splitting function?)
5) Most importantly: I am an above average-sized guy, 40" waist, 45" chest, and little bit of a belly (which I will be working off if necessary) Will the V25 vest fit me? Are there other sizes available?
6) Is anyone using it to fly an HDV camera (considering the HD100)?

Thanks everyone!
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:01 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Webb

Had the same problem recently (and I'm on the other side of the world!) and after numerous attempts finally spoke to one person who was not able to answer my questions.

Also, nobody was willing to ship to my side of the world and the few dealers (who I was told had stock) I actually telephoned gave me the same run-around.

In frustration, I gave up and bought another system from the competition - and am VERY pleased with the service and more importantly, build quality.

And it conforms to most of your questions:
1. don't know
2. yes
3. not the same monitor
4. yes
5. yes
6. yes
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:20 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Webb,

I've never had to wait more than 24 hours to receive a reply to an email from Glidecam, in my experience the support from Glidecam is one of the best if not the best I've had from any company and I know a lot of people who feel the same. The only thing I can think of as to why they may not be as responsive at the moment is because NAB is coming up, maybe they're busy preparing, but who knows. Anyway I was lucky enough to get the first production V25 so I've been using the arm and vest since september last year and the sled since December so hopefully I'll be able to help with some info.

1) Last I heard there was a 60 day wait on a V25
2) The current V series low mode kit will work as far as I know, but there are other options. I just turn the rig upside down and rebalance slightly then sort the image in post.
3) There are 2 inputs on the L7 but they use a connector cable of which there is only one supplied with the monitor. So there is one usable composite input as standard. I'm sure Glidecam can supply another connector to use AV2. The L7 is the same monitor as the flyer monitor, it appears to be a rebadged marshall monitor.
4) There's no onboard splitting function, so you will need to use a splitter of some sort to go into a wireless and the monitor. Not much of a big deal.
5) I can't say if it will definately fit you but the vest can be adjusted to fit a wide range of operators.
6) I have used it with a Sony Z1, but for very lightweight cameras you need to add some weight to the top of the sled to be able to balance it out and get it to the minimum weight required for the arm. The total combined weight range of the arm is 40lbs and I think the minimum you need is around 20lbs which will work with the arm on it's lowest setting.

I hope this helps, and if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Jeremy, what system did you buy?

John.
John Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:38 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks!

Thanks John and Jeremy, that's exactly what I was looking for.

I did hear back from Glidecam via email with some answers as well. Unfortunately, I'm shooting a feature this July and wanted to take the next 2 months to practice heavily. With the 60-day backorder I don't think I'll be able to order the V25. :(
Old April 15th, 2006, 05:45 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webb Pickersgill
Thanks John and Jeremy, that's exactly what I was looking for.

I did hear back from Glidecam via email with some answers as well. Unfortunately, I'm shooting a feature this July and wanted to take the next 2 months to practice heavily. With the 60-day backorder I don't think I'll be able to order the V25. :(
It's actually shows how good the V25 is when they can't build them fast enough for the amount of people that want one. I think glidecam have really done something special with the V25, a truly professional rig at a reasonable price.

John.
John Steele is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)