DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Glidecam knockoffs from Ebay. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/68079-glidecam-knockoffs-ebay.html)

Billy Mallari May 24th, 2006 09:41 AM

Glidecam knockoffs from Ebay.

1 Attachment(s)
Im planning to buy a glidecam for my dvx100 but I am on a tight budget. I saw this glidecam look-a-like on ebay and it seems fairly affordable. I was wondering if you guys have used one of these?

Any opinions?

Billy Mallari May 24th, 2006 09:42 AM

By the way the attachment above is the picture in ebay.

Yoochul Chong May 24th, 2006 04:03 PM

you get what you pay for. i firmly believe in that.

Ismail Aslam May 24th, 2006 04:10 PM

Hi,

I'm also in a similar position as you, there is so much products out there, im thinking of saving a little more and then going for something more up market. Its an investment i'd also advise you, but then again if you buy it, let me know how it comes along

Regards
Ismail

Leigh Wanstead May 24th, 2006 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ismail Aslam
Its an investment i'd also advise you, but then again if you buy it, let me know how it comes along

Regards
Ismail

I have seen quite few people which initially only willing to pay little money, but end up paying around US$10,000 or more.

Ismail Aslam May 24th, 2006 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leigh Wanstead
I have seen quite few people which initially only willing to pay little money, but end up paying around US$10,000 or more.

Thats quiet alot, way out of my budget. Maybe looking at something way cheaper as a student. $500 - $800 maybe.

Leigh Wanstead May 24th, 2006 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ismail Aslam
Thats quiet alot, way out of my budget. Maybe looking at something way cheaper as a student. $500 - $800 maybe.

I agree too. ;-)

Regards
Leigh

Andy Graham May 24th, 2006 05:04 PM

Billy, the guy that's selling it wouldn't happen to be called "DV-shop23" shipping from india would it?. If so I can at least tell you that they seem to be pretty reliable....I just bought support rods from them and they arrived in scotland within 6 days which is pretty good considering its from India and the rods were good quality, I've had items take longer to arrive from 20 miles away.

Andy.

Mikko Wilson May 24th, 2006 05:56 PM

Funny how people copy the copycats isn't it?

You always get what you pay for, that especially goes for stabilizers.

Ismail, if your camera is under 5.5lb (including the DVX) then my recomentation in for under $800 is the Steadicam Merlin.

- Mikko

Paul Cascio May 24th, 2006 07:24 PM

Maybe Glidecams are just overpriced

It's easy to say you get what you pay for, but it seems to me that much of what is sold in our industry is ridiculously overpriced, including stabilzers, lighting, follow-focus attachments, and the outrageous matte box.

Maybe a little bit of competition and an open-minded analysis of these producst is just what our industry needs. Aren't you tired of overpaying? I know I am.

Billy Mallari May 24th, 2006 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Graham
Billy, the guy that's selling it wouldn't happen to be called "DV-shop23" shipping from india would it?. If so I can at least tell you that they seem to be pretty reliable....I just bought support rods from them and they arrived in scotland within 6 days which is pretty good considering its from India and the rods were good quality, I've had items take longer to arrive from 20 miles away.

Andy.

it is ..I bought a support harness for my DVX..it was a good product, but takes time to wear it. It was not suitable for weddings. Probably perfect for documentaries. But like people said, you get what you paid for. It was considerably cheap but seems to be working fine

Ismail Aslam May 25th, 2006 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikko Wilson
Funny how people copy the copycats isn't it?

You always get what you pay for, that especially goes for stabilizers.

Ismail, if your camera is under 5.5lb (including the DVX) then my recomentation in for under $800 is the Steadicam Merlin.

- Mikko

Hi Mikko,

Im not sure, what weight the pd170 is, is there a link for the steadicam you have mentioned?

Terry Thompson May 26th, 2006 01:30 AM

Billy,

If you are going to shoot for more than a couple of minutes at a time you better look into a support system. Trust me on this...

I have seen the above mentioned stabilizers but they are knock-offs of the older Glidecams as the newer Glidecam 2000 and 4000 Pro's have an improved yoke.

Terry
Indicam

Hi Leigh and Mikko!

Mikko - It was great getting to meet you at NAB. Thanks for your help.

Patrick Moreau May 26th, 2006 07:52 AM

First let me say that I don't have nearly the same background or experience as many of the posters in this thread so far.

With that said, I shoot with an ebay knock-off, and have been for the past 16 months. We shoot all weddings with it and I probably have it out for 3-4 hours a week with great results (obviously a biased opinion). I also own a magiqcam, so I do have some experience with stabilizers and I have also owned the glidecam 1000-2000- and 4000.

From my experience, I firmly disagree in the 'you get what you pay for'. I actually worked with the maker of my handheld stabilizer to implement a bogen monopod into the design and it is much more functional than a glidecam, in my opinion and in the opinion of 3 to 4 others who have used the glidecam and my unit.

I would suggest you be careful who you buy from and what your getting. You can get some nice units at great prices, but there also some 'you get what you pay for' units out there.

Patrick

Terry Thompson May 26th, 2006 10:10 AM

Patrick,

Well said. There are some systems out there which offer a good value at a good price. There are others which claim to work as well as the more expensive systems. After looking at their design..No way.

Tery
Indicam