DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Stabilizer wanted in London. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/68899-stabilizer-wanted-london.html)

Vasi Hasan June 5th, 2006 11:51 AM

Stabilizer wanted in London.

Hi Guys,

First of all, thanks for answering our questions...there's a wealth of knowledge here in these forums....and thats probably why i'm confused.

I've been reading the stabilizer forum for the good part of the day, and apart from going cross eyed, I'm even more confused now than I was before I started.

I have a PD150 at the moment, and am planning to buy a Z1 soon. I want to buy a Stabilizer-thingy (I'm trying to avoid using a brand name), and thought it would either be glidecam or steadicam, but after reading all these posts I don't even think I know what I want.

1. Do i need an arm and a vest? Is it just to make it less tiring for the hand/arm?

2. Are the major players just Glidecam and Steadicam? There's also varizoom and lots more people selling their own designs. I know you guys don't like saying "buy this or buy that" and want people to do their own research, but a point in the right direction would help.

After reading all these posts, seems to me that Steadicam is the way to go (Glidecam = bad for wrist :), but I just don't know where the arm and vest fit in.

4. Anywhere in London where I can go try out any stablizers before I buy?

Thanks for the help,
Vasi.

Samantha Hernandez June 5th, 2006 12:43 PM

I would go for a steddiepod

Hi,

You can check their website at www.BarberTVP.com.
I have been using this stabilizer and has loved it eversince.
I must admit that it can be sometimes tiring for just holding it, but there are many ways on how you can use the steddiepod.

you can use it as:
1. Camera stabilizer
2. Body brace mount
3. Tripod
4. Monopod
5. Camera Boom
6. Body/Ego cam
7. Doggy/Kitty cam

It also comes with a spring-loaded fluid head, a level ball and a dutch tilt.

Have a nice day!

Ralph Keyser June 5th, 2006 04:14 PM

What kind of shooting do you do, or invision doing with your stabilizer?

Vasi Hasan June 5th, 2006 06:04 PM

Thanks samantha, I'll check it out. (AKA, oh no!! another option!!)

Ralph, I do mostly low to mid-budget broadcast stuff, lifestyle shows, music videos, etc.

Is there anything that would take my PD150, Z1, AND a Sony digi-beta camera?

Mikko Wilson June 5th, 2006 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vasi Hasan
Is there anything that would take my PD150, Z1, AND a Sony digi-beta camera?

Yes, the Steadicam Flyer. - Which is, in my oppinion, the best rig for DV and super light broadcast work.

- Mikko

Vasi Hasan June 6th, 2006 04:17 AM

Steadicam Flyer

Eeeeek! that one's $15k.
Can't I start off with something around $5, at the most?

I still have to figure out what an arm and vest does. Anybody? Anybody?

Richard Lewis June 6th, 2006 05:17 AM

Steadicam Flyer is only £4,600 + VAT

Contact Robin at Tiffen Europe.

Would only take a really stripped down Digibeta, and even then, I'm not 100% sure.
If you are interested, we are at the Broadcast Live show at Earls Court from the 20th-22nd of this month. I think we have a Flyer. You can check out the Merlin too.

Rick.

Mikko Wilson June 6th, 2006 12:34 PM

By all means go and try out the rigs before you buy if possible! But be sure to give Rick some hard questions at the show :-P

An operator friend of mine (Chris Fawcett) has flown stripped DigiBeta and DVCPRO on his Flyer with no touble.
I've had a stripped down dockable 2/3" DVCAM with accessories on one too.
It won't give you many options with broadcast cmaeras, but you can fly the main formats.

- Mikko

Vasi Hasan June 12th, 2006 10:39 AM

stripped?

hey guys...thanks for the info, it really helps.

I was wondering how stripped is stripped down? are you talking pulling a hot-rod on the camera and taking everything off? or just using the smallest possible battery?

cheers,
vasi.

Mikko Wilson June 12th, 2006 03:11 PM

Depends on the camera.

However you woulnd't use the on camera battery, but rather you would power the camera from the batteries onte h sled (with the included cable)

First thing youd' pull off is the viewfinder. And then parts as needed.
Some stuff i've pulled off on occasion are: The mic & it's mount, the sun shade off the lens (yeah, it matters), the handle (on cameras that have a removabel handle), the battery plate, the shoulder pad.

But what you need to remove all depends on the set up you are working with.

- Mikko