Just got Glidecam V-8, I'm impressed :) - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 27th, 2003, 06:06 PM   #76
Major Player

:-) Sorry Emery, it's been a busy couple of weeks, my day job really gets in the way of this video stuff :-) I'll try and get one done for you, but don't worry it's not too hard to get everything setup if you get you're V8 before I get myself in order.

John.
John Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2003, 12:00 AM   #77
Regular Crew

oh no problem, I just thought it would be nice to have one to look at. Take ur time... just thought Id let you know theres still people out there that would appreciate it. Thanx!

-Emery
Emery Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2003, 11:21 PM   #78
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

John,

That shoot I'd mentioned above was canceled at the last minute...so aside from some dabbling with it, I hadn't put my V-8 to a real test until today (took me long enough, eh?).

I was shooting in a crowded market, filming a hitman/target chase scene...weaving in and out of people and traffic...god I love this V-8! It really was great to work with. I've got a long ways to go before I'll learn to keep it ultra steady like the pros, but it was a huge improvement over normal handheld shooting.

My monitor went out for some reason while filming...I still see that it has turned on, but the video feed wasn't showing. At first, it was...then it just stopped. Strange...but I don't think it's anything too major to repair. Consequently, I had to guesstimate the shots...then rewind and check each one to make sure I guesstimated correctly before moving on to the next shot. Still, they came out okay.

One thing--I already had a lot of respect for Charles and other pros who work with rigs like these hour after hour...but after today's six hour shoot...they have my PROFOUND respect! I don't think I'll be able to stand up straight for a week...my back is throbbing right now. I can't imagine lugging around a huge rig for a major film all day long, day after day. Charles, you must have a back like Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Old May 10th, 2003, 06:51 PM   #79
Wrangler

About the only part of me that could POSSIBLY be mistaken for a Ah-nuld may just be those elusive lower back muscles--well, not really! But I will admit that 17 years of "humping the beast" has left me with some good armour back there.

Yup, John, it sure can be a bear. There are various tricks and rest positions etc., but one of the main things is to remember to dock it when you're not shooting. Even before fatigue sets in, the clock is ticking!

Looking forward to seeing some of your footage, will you post it?
Old May 10th, 2003, 07:01 PM   #80

Charles,

I'm doing post now for the June 1 release...I'll post something here to let you know when it's up. Watch it at your own risk, though. It's chock full of operator errors...overswing, floating horizon, and one that I couldn't seem to overcome...the leaning that comes with momentum when starting off quickly. It was a lot of fun...but it was a lot more difficult than I thought it was going to be.

I'll take your advice about docking whenever possible. I pretty much carried it the whole time we were shooting and just tried to shift the weight from one side to the other while at rest.
Old May 10th, 2003, 07:13 PM   #81
Wrangler

Ah yes, the dreaded pendulum effect. A little esoteric to go into in detail here. Although one thing to check out right away is how long your drop time is (from horizontal to vertical)--the shorter the duration of the drop, the more the rig will want to tilt down when you push off the mark.

A quick rest position is to pull the rig in to your body as close as possible and lean back on your heels a bit, takes the weight off "those muscles" somewhat. Another is to tilt the rig back and rest the center post on your shoulder, but this is usually not possible with a single section arm (the rig won't reach).
Old May 12th, 2003, 03:29 AM   #82
Major Player

Hey John,

Glad you're getting to use the glidecam, I've used mine a few times and share you're feeling on it I love it :-) I take it your shoot was for LadyX, I'm looking forward to seeing this, I was going to sign up for one, but couldn't definately commit the time to making sure I'd hit the deadline, maybe next time :-)

Charles, I'm a big scrubs fan and everytime I watch it annoys me that you don't get a mention on the end credits, Why is that? I would think that Steadicam/Camera operator was worthy of inclusion in the end credits. Does that not annoy you? Like I said it annoys me and it's not even me thats doing it :-)

John.
John Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2003, 06:58 AM   #83

Hey John and Charles,

I've finally got something posted for you guys to see. It's the "Episode 01" link at LadyXFilms.com.

The two shots that were the trickiest for me included the one at the beginning where I spin around the guy in the red shirt (which I didn't do very well...I know, I know) and then the shot a bit later with the same guy where he suddenly stops, whips around, and comes back at me.

Pretty much all the beginning and ending shots were done with the Glidecam. The shots in the office were all mounted.

Like I said, this was quite a learning experience for me...learning that I need:

1. Much more practice with the rig (the exercise I read about where you put a cross on your monitor, then a cross on a wall, and move toward it keeping the crosses aligned sounds good.
2. To work out my shoulder and back muscles more (that six-hour day crippled me for the next couple of days)
3. To soak up all the info I can from you guys. ;)

If you get a chance to watch it, I'd appreciate you coming back here and tearing apart my Glidecam work. The better to learn by.
Old June 1st, 2003, 09:51 AM   #84
Wrangler

John L:

Congrats on finishing your segment! Looking forward to seeing it. I'm away from home and sorely missing that DSL line--the hotel is presenting me with a whopping 28K connection, so I'll download tonight.

John S.: the end credits of "Scrubs" are a minor annoyance. There is a "rotating card" that changes each week (I think it's the second to last) that has credits from a given department, so after fifteen episodes or so everyone's had a credit. Personally, it doesn't bother me that much because they go by so quickly anyway, and as far as I'm concerned the people who are watching credits are looking for someone they already know is on the show...! A little bit more of a bummer is on features, when the font used for credits is too small or weird to read properly on the video version. I think this was the case on "Crazy/Beautiful", where they had some teeny handwriting-like font that just isn't legible, even on DVD. I'm a little more protective of the feature credits....
Old January 20th, 2004, 07:49 PM   #85
Regular Crew

Just got Glidecam V-8, I'm impressed :)

Hey guys has this post moved or been renamed. I am a new V8 owner and want to share in the knowledge and brotherhood...

LadyX Episode 1 was great!!!
Taylor Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)