Indicam review continued - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 1st, 2006, 09:15 PM   #46
Major Player

Terry,

That vest looks great, well done. I'll definately be keeping an eye out.

Cheers

Joe
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 11:41 PM   #47
Major Player

Joe,

We were going to make a trip your way (and other islands) this December but there was a mess up so we're just going on a Mexican cruise. I wish we could have come as we were bringing a couple of PILOTs to show the film people there.

I'll keep you in mind when we actually make the trip. I hear it's a great place to visit and film. We're hoping maybe next year.

Terry
Indicam

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 09:38 AM   #48
Trustee

Wow thaz a nice improvement ;).. a pity I missed it. Can't wait to receive my indicam when I return home!
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 10:40 AM   #49
Major Player

Sean,

It's not in production yet as it's still in testing phase but when it is produced it won't weigh that much so shipping will be low.

Terry
Indicam

www.indicam.com
Old November 6th, 2006, 06:45 AM   #50
Trustee

Hmm maybe I'll make one for myself den ;p
Old November 6th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #51
Major Player

Sean,

Go for it. When you make something for yourself you can always customize it to fit exactly the way you want.

Terry
Indicam

www.indicam.com
Old November 14th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #52
Trustee

Argh! I received my Indicam!! Didnt have much time to play with it but I managed to set up the whole kit in a breeze with the great DVD provided.
1. Overall. Built quality is above average, but it could be a little better in some areas in terms of cosmetics.
2. Sled. The sled is SUPERB. The gimbal is super smooth and handles the FX1 well. The nice rubber grip is also very comfortable. Only found the handle a tad little short for hand operation.
3. Balancing. Was done pretty quickly (less than 10min) even though I did it without a balancing stand (Varizoom Flowpod exp helped here) and of course the DVD instructions were so well done. Very detailed.
4. Stabiliser Vest. I like the bag. Its compact and holds everything. The arms r well designed. Simple n they work. Was able to fly FX1 easily.. of cse I still need a lot of practise.

Now, one thing I have a prob with is the length of the metal plate in front of my chest. Its a little big for Asian me and had to tighten all the straps to the max. The bag came very close the back of my neck n if feels uncomfortable. But when, thats my initial feel. May be I had not adjusted the thing well enuf yet. Terry has somemore instructions for me but I've jumped the gun here to post this so dun be baised yet.

5. Delivery. Lighning Speed. It was shipped the day I paid. Now how much faster could that get?

Will give more feelback when I get to mess ard with it more.. hope to snap some photos too!
Old November 14th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #53
Major Player

Sean,

I just sent you an email with vest/backpack set-up instructions. As stated there, the chest plate can be adjusted larger or smaller according to body type. You just need to make the change and try it out. The backpack/vest should fit like a backpack. (see picture) In other words it should sit lower on the back when the chest plate is connected and tightened up. This keeps it from rubbing on the back of the neck. I never had this problem so it's new to me.

We're working on the new vests. We have an order in to the seamstress to make a number of them. Just have to wait our turn.

Regarding the handle...It's actually a little longer than the Glidecam 2000 / 4000. I personally don't hold the handle when operating except when using it handheld. I take a hold of the end of the arm on the bar which hooks into the sled handle (see picture). This makes for easier control according to my operating style.

Terry
Indicam
Attached Thumbnails
Indicam review continued-gripping-rig-web.jpg   Indicam review continued-backpack-placement-web.jpg  

www.indicam.com
Old November 16th, 2006, 11:12 AM   #54
Trustee

I'm back.. after some advise by Terry, I'm able to have a better fit to the vest. I think it can still get better.. still need some time to figure out this thing! In the meantime, I got 30min of practise spread over 2 days and here is my first indicam video. Wat? its jerky? Yeah I know.. still need lots of practise but the indi does wat its supposed to do.. IT WORKS!! Cheers to Terry again..

its on Youtube now. Still loading. Chk back here again!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDs-V15i1Ck
Old November 16th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #55
Major Player

Sean,

You done me proud son.

Actually you video is darn good for only a shot time practicing. You already are working on one of the most important skills...that of keeping your control hand (usually the left one) out of the shot. Since the pan bearing (the big one for all the newbies) is so low friction, any control hand can show up in the video if it isn't done with a very light touch. This shows up as a side-to-side movement.

As Charles Papert has said many times...Your control hand uses a very light touch. Many times it isn't even touching the sled but the fingers are barely off the gimbal sleeve so when some correction is needed, it can be done easily.

Keep them videos coming and maybe we can give you tasks to do and show on YouTube.

Sean, I liked your choice of backing out of the window. Did you do that in the missionary or Don Juan position? (I'm guessing missionary.)

The music was nice too.

Terry
Indicam

www.indicam.com
Old November 16th, 2006, 03:35 PM   #56
Major Player

Sean:
I like how you pulled out from the window in the very beginning of the shot. Not bad for 30 minutes of practice... you will get better with time. Keep working at it!

Terry:
Quick question: are the springs in the arms adjustable for different weights or are the springs' tension/position fixed?

Thanks!
Peter Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #57
Major Player

Peter,

Adjustable

Hey, where's more video. I want more! (I sound like a spoiled child)

I checked out your website and saw the trailer of the current wedding. Very well done. You have a flair with the PILOT.

http://kairosweddingfilms.blogspot.c...ding-film.html

You have done very well with your creativity and quality. You should have people standing in line waiting for you to do their wedding videos.

Terry
Indicam

www.indicam.com
Old November 16th, 2006, 11:10 PM   #58
Trustee

Hey thanks 4 the compliments guys! The window happened to be there so... anyway I enjoyed fondling with PILOT. I have no doubts that it does it's job darn well. Terry, I have no idea what are the part names..

actually I do not quite understand what is the gimbal sleeve. I think I have to look at the video again. Eh, I also dun know what missionary or Don Juan position looks like.. looks like i need that training video of yours..

I will be shooting more videos this weekend with a more open space with steps. Hope I can master this real quick..! Thks again to Terry for the superb support!

Last edited by Sean Seah; November 17th, 2006 at 06:31 AM.
Old November 17th, 2006, 06:50 AM   #59
Trustee

Hey Peter, the love story has some pretty neat stuff! I like the moving background of photos. I guess u must have done a fair bit of photoshop to make that happen. The moving fish was pretty cool too!
Old November 17th, 2006, 09:28 AM   #60
Major Player

Thanks, Sean. That love story was actually shown at our reception when we got married this past June! It was amazing how all of our guests' eyes were literally "glued to the screen!"

I separated the different layers in Photoshop and then animated them in Final Cut Pro.
Peter Chung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)