DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Which Glidecam for XM2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/7611-glidecam-xm2.html)

Stewart McDonald March 11th, 2003 02:00 AM

Which Glidecam for XM2?

I will be buying a Canon XM2 this summer, and for the moment am just planning on what accessories I need to buy. I have been looking into the glidecams, because I want to make short films and love the smooth long shots that steadicams produce. Which glidecams are good for the XM2? I don't want to spend more than I need to really. Also, I live in the UK and want to know if it's advisable to order from bhphotovideo.com, as this is the only website I know that you can order from. Are there any places in the UK that sell them? Getting a Glidecam 2000 from b&h would cost me $100 extra just for shipping, and who knows what charges I'd get for import.

Thanks

John Steele March 11th, 2003 05:19 AM

Hi Stewart, there's a thread on the go at the moment on the glidecam V8 which I've just bought and it's great a bit more pricey than a 2000 pro but I feel well worth it. I'm also in the uk and the uk dealer for glidecam is cke distribution www.cke.co.uk I also had a 2000 pro which was a good product but after a few minutes of shooting it just become too heavy, but so far I've managed to play with the V8 for a couple of hours before I've really required a rest so there's much more scope for longer shooting with the body mounted system. I bought both products from cke, excellent service from both glidecam and cke during both of my purchases. I've got some footage posted on the V8 link so if you want to see how it looks take a look in there.

John.

Stewart McDonald March 11th, 2003 05:48 AM

Thanks John. Im a pretty strong guy :) would the weight really be too much from just using the arm brace? I'm not that bothered about that, I just want very smooth steady shots. Does the V-8 produce noticably more steady shots that the 2000. I suppose it comes down to how good you are with it, not the actual equipment.

How much was the Glidecam 2000 and V-8 from CKE John?

Thanks

John Steele March 11th, 2003 06:09 AM

Hi Stewart,

With the XM2 and counterweights on the 2000 pro you're probably looking at carrying around 6lbs or so it can be a bit of a strain after a while, but I suppose it just depends on how much you work out :-). It definately produces smooth results but I've had the V8 for a week and I've produced much better shots than I've done with the 2000pro but they are very differently priced systems. Cke have the 2000pro for £311 and the V8 for £2344 so there is a bit of a price jump. Where abouts in the UK are you stewart, I'm in glasgow and Stewart McDonald sounds like a good scottish name, if you were nearby then you could check out the 2000pro and the V8 before you decided to buy.

John.

Stewart McDonald March 11th, 2003 06:51 AM

I live on Merseyside :)
Bit of a way away. Does the Glide2000 come with a monitor too? If not how much are they extra? Is a monitor essential? I think 2k is a little bit out of my price range, so I shall be saying bye to the V-8 as much as I want one though. It's more expensive than the camcorder! And I heard the XM2 is pretty light, so I don't see why I would need the V-8. If my arm gets tired I'll just rest :)

John Steele March 11th, 2003 08:43 AM

:-) Yeah a bit away, the 2000 pro doesn't come with a monitor but the XM2 I think has a flip out monitor, so to be honest you probably won't need a monitor on the glidecam itself.

John.

Stewart McDonald March 11th, 2003 10:19 AM

Cool I read somewhere that having the lcd out on the XM2 whilst on the glidecam knocks off balance. Is this true? Or would it not matter? I think maybe I'm looking too much into this hehe

Casey Visco March 11th, 2003 10:46 AM

no it wont knock it off balance, just BALANCE the rig while taking the monitor into account. meaning...have it flipped out while balancing...as it will shift the center of gravity slightly.

Steven-Marc Couchouron March 11th, 2003 10:51 AM

Since you're in the UK you might also want to look at B-Hague's model:
http://www.b-hague.co.uk/Camcorder%2...zer%20HCS3.htm

It is really not as slick looking as the Glidecam but it is cheaper and just might do the trick.
I have not tested it. I simply built my own.
You can find links to my design and many others here (as well as general info on stabilizers):
http://www.homebuiltstabilizers.com

Charles Papert March 11th, 2003 11:05 AM

In looking at that Hague stabilizer, the design seems fine but I can't tell if the "gimbal" is truly that or just a ball and socket joint. If this is the case it would surely induce friction. Otherwise the basic principles are there.

Steven-Marc Couchouron March 11th, 2003 11:18 AM

Good point!

I should also add that I generally find the models with the ex-centered handle such as the Glidecam easier to control and balance.

With models such as B-Hague's (or of SteadiCam Jr. inspiration) I don't really understand how strong vertical movement is compensated. I'd love to try one running up a flight of stairs as I've only been able to test some of these at tradeshows.

Stewart McDonald March 11th, 2003 11:30 AM

Thanks guys. It's looking more and more like i'll be getting the Glidecam 2000. Still a good couple of months of research though before I take the plunge.

Charles Papert March 11th, 2003 11:37 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Steven-Marc Couchouron : With models such as B-Hague's (or of SteadiCam Jr. inspiration) I don't really understand how strong vertical movement is compensated.>>>

With all of the hand-held stabilizers, vertical movement is compensated not by the gimbal but by the user's arm itself (with the body-mounted stabilizers, the same principle applies but it is the spring-loaded mechanical arm that does the work). The gimbal compensates for the angular axes: pan, tilt and roll. This concept can easily be demonstrated by walking fast with a full glass of water and watching how one's arm neutralizes the bounce of the body. In fact, performing this exercise and learning how to stop suddenly without spilling the water is a great way to understand how to achieve smooth stops with a stabilizer!

John Steele March 11th, 2003 11:46 AM

Stewart, let me know when you decide to buy, I might be selling my 2000pro at some point, I've not quite decided yet, but I might have by the time you want to buy.

John.

Stewart McDonald March 11th, 2003 02:29 PM

Cool, thanks