Steadicam Workshop & Demo Video! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 11th, 2003, 09:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Steadicam Workshop & Demo Video!

Workshop Site

www.steadicam-ops.com/workshop.shtml

Demo Video

Windows Media

www.steadicam-ops.com/video/soademo384k.wmv

Real Media

www.steadicam-ops.com/stream/soademo256k.ram
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2003, 10:01 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Cable System?

Is that a Wescam cable system flying the camera and operator?
Old March 11th, 2003, 10:01 PM   #3
Wrangler

Thanks for posting that James, that was a fun video. It's a trip down memory lane for me...I used to teach at the Steadicam workshops mid to late 90's. We didn't have the "Flycam" at those, though. Looks like a groovy ride, huh?

If anyone is thinking about taking a Steadicam workshop, the Philly ones are great if for no other reason than Garrett Brown (the inventor of the Steadicam) is usually in attendance, and he is a truly wonderful presence.
Old March 12th, 2003, 04:36 AM   #4
Major Player

Charles, A workshop may be fun sometime in the future, Are the techniques tought generic so no matter what type of rig you use, you'll still benefit from the course or do you really need to be flying a "Steadicam"

John.
John Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 08:10 AM   #5
Wrangler

The flycam shots they do in the video don't look very useful. Someone please tell me there's a rotation control on that rig other than just sticking your legs out.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 05:30 PM   #6
Wrangler

John:

Yes, the techniques are generic, and you will learn a ton of great stuff.

Robert:

As I recall, you work yourself around the Flyman using your feet to control your pivot, and it is actually useful. The shot of the operator (Jerry Holway, who invented the thing) spinning around and sticking his legs out is just him showing off, that wouldn't be a likely use of the technology for real. I have seen some stuff on the demo reel and it looks good. However, there are various unmanned and remote Cablecam rigs out there these days that can do the same thing and are probably more practical.
Old March 12th, 2003, 11:14 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Grip question

Charles,
Occasionally in DVD behind the scenes I have seen a grip following close behind the Steadicam operator with a 4x half or solid. Sometimes he's to the side if it's a tracking shot. Is this for wind control, to help flag his monitor or maybe to give him something to follow as a reference especially if moving backwards?
Old March 13th, 2003, 07:03 AM   #8
Wrangler

James:

We use 4x4 nets (I prefer a double, some use a solid) as a windblock as you guessed. We have a variety of high-tech methods to help with this issue such as gyros but every little bit helps.
Old March 14th, 2003, 09:04 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Antlers?

Charles,
I have seen these in use once. Apparently they are used for wind control as well, but I can't see how. Can you explain how this control works? Thank you.

Antlers at work - bottom picture

www.ronborden.com/new_gear.htm
Old March 15th, 2003, 06:02 AM   #10
Warden

Just a guess, but I imagine they work like a pole for an acrobat on the highwire.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2003, 01:08 PM   #11
Wrangler

I think I taught Ron a few years ago at one of the workshops-- he looks familiar.

Jeff is correct, Antlers have the same principle as a tightrope walker pole. They are simply a lightweight telescoping pole with brass weights (choice of .5 lbs, 1 lb and 2 lb weights), but being that they are compatible with our gear and made for our industry, they cost around $1000!

You are expanding the inertia of the rig in two axes; side to side aka roll, and pan. Imagine viewing a Steadicam from behind (this is the roll view) and from above (pan view). Now adding the antlers, you can see that you have extended the masses out in these axes, which greatly aids in the stability. Whichever axis has the least inertia will be the greatest affected by a gust of wind, so the Antlers really help to equalize the axes (the third axis of tilt, represented by a side view of the rig, is already quite substantial and therefore the most inert of the three). Antlers are also very helpful for telephoto lens work even if there is no wind issue. The feeling when you put them on is comparable to cranking up the tension on your fluid head; it gives you a bit of resistance (without actually creating drag in the system, which doesn't work with Steadicam).

Antlers were in fact developed by Jerry Holway, who as I mentioned earlier also invented the Flycam as seen in the video.
Old March 15th, 2003, 07:25 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Flags & Antlers

Thank you Charles for the answers to both of those questions.
Old May 12th, 2003, 04:54 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Hi Charles,
I've been reading many of your post, and they are ALL so informative. This forum would be lacking without the knowledge you bring to it.

I am starting out on my venture of hopefully becoming a camera operator either for TV or Film. I currently have a BS degree in Business Administration, but finally decided I am going to follow my dream, as crazy as my family think I am, to be a camera operator. I will also be throwing all my savings into taking a 6 week Mini DV Film making course at the Los Angeles Film School.

I read in one of your post that you used to teach at the Steadicam Workshop. As much as I would like to go, unfortunatly, all my funds are being allocated to the school.

First, do you still currently teach? If so, where? I would like to see if I take classes and have you as an instructor. If you don't, do you know of any programs, workshops, or seminars I would be able to take and learn camera operation?

I know you probably get asked this question a million times, but do you have any advice on someone starting out.

Any advice you can give me would be SO appreciated.

Sincerely,
Bryant Sentosa
email: bmsentosa@dslextreme.com
Bryant Sentosa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)