DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Steadicam or Glidecam (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/764-steadicam-glidecam.html)

Ed Smith January 23rd, 2002 12:42 PM

Steadicam or Glidecam

I have been looking into this, but I can't find out the differences between them.

Could someone tell me the differences, and is there a better one?

Has anybody used the Steadicam DV?

I plan to use it with Canon XL1,

Help, please

Ed

John Locke January 23rd, 2002 12:58 PM

Hi Ed

For the XL-1, you might want to consider either the Steadicam SK2 or the Glidecam V-8. The DV model might be a bit small.

I'm still planning to purchase one or the other myself...but haven't been in a hurry since they're so expensive. I've had plenty of time to ask lots of people their opinions, though, and I've found they've basically been pleased with both brands. I originally was interested in the DV, but had that idea nipped in the bud by others with experience.

Most people tell me the same thing...it's just a matter of which design you feel more comfortable with and how much you want to pay.

I'll be interested in reading the responses to your question from experienced users.

Ed Smith January 24th, 2002 01:37 PM

Cheers John,

They are rather expensive, so I am holding off for the minute as well. I guess the reason for going to the SK2 is because it supports much heavier cameras, it will be much more fluid and streamless than the DV version, or Mini version is this true or is it because of a different reason? (Price jump a couple of grand££$$).

Anyboby else with experience of both models.

All the best,

Ed Smith

Charles Papert February 1st, 2002 07:43 PM

Ed:

Yes, you are correct in your reasons for assuming the SK is superior to the Mini and the DV. (the DV has been discontinued and is not recommended).

Also, the SK has a higher intensity green-screen monitor than the LCD found in most smaller camera stabilizers. It may seem disconcerting to have a monochrome display, but this principle is carried through to the top-of-the-line Steadicam units as it is more sunlight-viewable. LCD's are getting better by the day but they still tend to wash out in bright daylight.

The most important components on a Steadicam type system are the arm and gimbal, and the SK has more beefy and sophisticated versions of both, which aids in creating the desired smooth moves.

Another factor not often mentioned is that the lighter a Steadicam setup is, the more difficult it is to maintain a level horizon and solid lockoffs. The design revolves around inertia, and the less mass present, the more susceptible the system is to exterior forces such as wind and shifts in balance as well as operator input (the prime difference between good and bad Steadicam shots is rarely the equipment, more usually the operating technique!) For these reasons, the heavier SK will probably produce better results onscreen, and allow the user to eventually use it with more professional cameras down the road if that is a possibility. But of course it comes at a premium!