Merlin and Canon XH A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old October 1st, 2006, 04:57 PM   #1
Major Player

Merlin and Canon XH A1

I read the specs of the new HDV A1 is about 5 pounds with a b50 battery. This is the extreme edge of weight for the Merlin.

I own a Steadicam Jr and use it with a Sony trv50, so I am comfortable with gimble work. I am very interested in knowing if you can load up the Merlin gimble with a 5lb camera and still expect good performance?

Why doesn't steadicam offer a solution - many of the prosumer cameras are in the 5-6 lb range - other than a huge jump to the mini class?

Any real world info with a 5 lb camera on a Merlin would be greatly appreciated.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 01:36 AM   #2
Major Player

Cody,
Merlin works great with cameras up to 5.5lb (HVX, FX1, Z1, GL1/2, Etc..)
All indications are that the A1 and G1 will work well on Merlin. I am keeping a close eye on this and have a friend who will give the A1 a test once the cameras are available.

- Mikko
Old October 2nd, 2006, 08:16 AM   #3
Major Player

Cool. I really want one, but want to make sure it works first. I look forward to your firends impressions.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)