Glidecam vs vz-ultralite at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 16th, 2006, 12:01 AM   #1
Trustee

Glidecam vs vz-ultralite

Hi guys,

I've been browsing the forums looking for the answer to this but I could not find anything conclusive. I bumped into the opportunity to buy a used glidecam 2000 for 150€ (shipping to Barcelona included) or a vz-ultralite for 220€ (shipping to Barcelona included). Did anyone work with any of these? I know that the VZ can support more weight and it has a quick-release plate. But apart from these differences I really don't know what differs these 2 tools and how good each of them is from a user point of view. I know "steadi-pros" say these are not the best tools for the job but even though I don't do weddings I've seen some guy's wedding footage entirely shot with the glidecam that looked very smooth. Any thoughts?

cheers,

Rafa
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #2
Trustee

Man, it's quieter in here than in the moon's surface...
Old December 16th, 2006, 10:49 AM   #3
Trustee

After reading all I could about it I decided not to buy any of these stabilizers. Most people with heavier cameras like the XH-A1 complain that they cannot handle more than a couple of minutes without having some serious arm pain. Sometimes I shoot hand held (for simple tests) with the A1+Letus35A+heavy lens and I know it's heavy. I can't imagine adding the extra weight of the stabilizer to this rig during 8 hours of real shooting. I prefer to wait and some day invest on a merlin or a dv sportster.
Old December 16th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes
After reading all I could about it I decided not to buy any of these stabilizers. Most people with heavier cameras like the XH-A1 complain that they cannot handle more than a couple of minutes without having some serious arm pain. Sometimes I shoot hand held (for simple tests) with the A1+Letus35A+heavy lens and I know it's heavy. I can't imagine adding the extra weight of the stabilizer to this rig during 8 hours of real shooting. I prefer to wait and some day invest on a merlin or a dv sportster.
I would suggest you to get a vest stabilizer i.e. www.SmoothArm.com. I have put 8kg sony xd camera on SmoothArm. By the way, using SmoothArm you won't have any arm pain and no lower back pain whatever.
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)