Are there Merlin Workshops? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old December 18th, 2006, 06:15 PM   #1
Major Player

Are there Merlin Workshops?

I'm in Vancouver, Canada. Are the actually workshops for the Merlin? In Canada?

What do these cover and how much do they cost?
Ronald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 07:45 AM   #2
Regular Crew

The 43-page manual for the Merlin explains its operation very clearly for beginning users. It's also supplemented by a DVD. The intention seems to be that with an understanding of the basic principles, new users will learn on their own through practice.

As far as I know, the workshops are only for the full-sized Steadicam units, and usually have experience qualifications, such that you have to be working in the industry already before taking the class.
Mike Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Brown
As far as I know, the workshops are only for the full-sized Steadicam units, and usually have experience qualifications, such that you have to be working in the industry already before taking the class.
Well, close, but not quite, at least in terms of the "qualifications". In truth, you need no special qualifications to go to any of the big workshops (Thank goodness!), you just need the money to do it (Thus, you need to be committed to learning it - a bit of a "qualification", but not anything like "you have to be in the industry")

Also, while I'm pretty sure there are no Steadicam workshops in Canada, I wouldn't place money on the fact that there are no Merlin workshops. It sure seems like it'd be a good idea to have them, and maybe somebody out there agrees with me, and started a workshop!
Tom Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #4
Major Player

I did a Flyer workshop in October with Phil Balsdon and found that a lot of the great stuff that you learn in a workshop can be applied to the Merlin as well. Probably even more when the Merlin vest wil be released.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 06:09 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wills
In truth, you need no special qualifications to go to any of the big workshops (Thank goodness!), you just need the money to do it (Thus, you need to be committed to learning it - a bit of a "qualification", but not anything like "you have to be in the industry")
The first sentence in the Rockport, Maine Steadicam workshop page says,

Quote:
This course is for working film and video camera professionals with at least a year of camera operating experience.
http://www.theworkshops.com/catalog/...27&SchoolID=21

Being an amateur, not a "working professional," I don't meet this qualification. But ... I don't doubt you that if I showed up in Rockport and waved 15 fresh hundred-dollah bills in their face, the qualifications perhaps could be "waived" just this once. ;-)
Mike Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 10:23 PM   #6
Major Player

Well, apparently I don't know much about the Maine workshop. It's the one I always forget about. (Maybe I'm spoiled, being only around 50 miles from the SOA one) The SOA workshop doesn't requre those qualifications though. I also am not entirely sure whether by "working professional" that they mean you know what you're doing, or whether they actually mean it litterally.
Tom Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #7
Major Player

Well the "qualifications", as most in this business, aren't rock solid.

What the "requirements" for the workshops generally mean is that you should be a competent camera operator. This is the case for anyone planning on learning Steadicam anyway.

And generally speaking, normally anyone ready to drop $2k+ for a week's Steadicam workshop is someone who is already experienced in camera operating.

- Mikko
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:54 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tsamandanis
Probably even more when the Merlin vest wil be released.
There's going to be a Merlin vest? Is that definite?
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 03:11 AM   #9
Major Player

Mikko replied a while back to my same question. Apparently it's in development.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)