Smooth Shooter balancing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old December 22nd, 2006, 08:21 AM   #1
Major Player

Smooth Shooter balancing

This is probably a "Duh" questions but here it goes. Do you still have to balance all of the axis if you use a Smooth Shooter? I have a glidecam pod and it takes quite a bit of time to balance. Wondering if the Smooth Shooter eliminates at least part of the balance act???
Thanks,
John
John Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 06:41 PM   #2
Major Player

John,

This is an easy answer. YES!

The only thing the Smooth Shooter does is take the weight off your arm and put it onto your body. The sled still needs to be balanced in order to provide proper stabilization.

The BIG plus you will notice immediately is that you can concentrate on your framing and camera movement instead of thinking about how to finish the shot quickly because your arm is killing you.

Enjoy the new world of camera stabilization.

Terry
Indicam

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 09:52 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks, I thought that was going to be the case. I just wish there was a way to go from tripod to steadicam quickly without all the work in getting the thing balanced again. I am still thinking of getting the Smooth Shooter.

John
Old December 23rd, 2006, 12:37 AM   #4
Trustee

John, u could attach a quick release plate. Just balance the glidecam with the release plate n presto! U can remove the cam n r attach it without rebalancing too much. Of cse, u have to ensure the cam is in the same state as when it was balanced, eg: LCD flipped open, mic blah blah.. I use Terry's indicam this way n it works great.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 11:10 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks, I will give it that a try.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 01:59 PM   #6
Wrangler

This seems to be the most popular quick-release assembly people are using, probably since the Bogen plate is adopted by various other tripod manufacturers. If yours is different, see if the maker of your head offers a similar device. It will add a bit of weight to the top (and raise the center of gravity), but it will greatly reduce your balancing woes. Hint: once you have achieved a balance you like with the camera, mark the various axes with a paint pen or silver Sharpie etc. so you can easily return to them as needed.

I think that anyone who uses a GC will like using the Smooth Shooter. If you ever end up doing a shot that requires more range than the arm allows, you can simply do that shot with the GC in handheld mode. Also, you should look into Terry's Indicam, which is a nifty setup and is compatible with your GC.
Old December 31st, 2006, 10:28 PM   #7
Major Player

Charles,

As usual...you are the man. Thanks also for the plug.

Hey, Any suggestions as to where I can get a bunch of these at a better price? I want to include them as an option for the Indicam PILOT system. I'm also working on a low mode adaptor as per your suggestions. Lots of stuff going on here but this isn't my thread.

Hope to see you and Amy in the near future.

Terry
Indicam

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 05:38 AM   #8
Wrangler

Probably contact Bogen/Manfrotto to see if you can get set up as a dealer...?
Old January 1st, 2007, 04:29 PM   #9
Inner Circle

This is the plate I use. It indexes precisely at the same place each time and mounts/dismounts fast.

Bogen / Manfrotto 394 Rapid Connect

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

I made the switch on all my cameras especially since I was struggling one day to slip a dovetail mount onto a tripod while in the cabin of a boat in rough conditions. Not only was it difficult but it was also making me sick! :-)

It's part of a Glidecam system that I use occasionally and it allows the camera to be pulled off easily for shoulder-mount work, then back onto the Glidecam without having to rebalance at all. And, as someone said, as long as the camera's physical configuration remains unchanged.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)