Flycams on Ebay at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 10th, 2007, 06:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Flycams on Ebay

anyone had any experience with these products or can give advice.

I want to purchase for HD100. Thanks

ADMIN NOTE: eBay links removed as per dvinfo.net policy.
Simon Antoniou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #2
Major Player

I had a glidecam 2000 when I had a GL1 and I think they are a waist of money.

I could get shots just as smooth by using a cheap tripod with legs folded up as a mono pod.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 04:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

yea thats what I wanted to know

Am I disillusioned to think that these devices are more than just standard monopods with fancy handles? Don’t they have some sort of mechanisms that stables the level so there’s no jerkyness.

I could buy a Flycam 5000 with arm brace for $300, which is half the price of a Glidecam. If its half the quality then its not worth it I guess.
Simon Antoniou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 04:37 PM   #4
Major Player

From what I've seen posted in other forums, it's a reasonably good knockoff of the Glidecam.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #5
Wrangler

A good gimballed stabilizer can deliver smoother, more controlled shots than a weighted stick (i.e. tripod or monopod or pipe rig). It does require a certain amount of expertise and practice to achieve this though. I've never laid hands on a Flycam, but the Glidecam, Merlin and various other products can certainly produce good shots.
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #6
Trustee

pendulum Effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Antoniou View Post
yea thats what I wanted to know

Am I disillusioned to think that these devices are more than just standard monopods with fancy handles? Don’t they have some sort of mechanisms that stables the level so there’s no jerkyness.

I could buy a Flycam 5000 with arm brace for $300, which is half the price of a Glidecam. If its half the quality then its not worth it I guess.
With a tripod folded up under a camera you can get similar results (just guessing because I don't have a true stabilizer)..... BUT there is a fair amount of pendulum action. The tripod method also does not have a gimballed stabilizer grip, and I found just holding the camera a big awkward.

BUT..... theose nice gimballed grips cost you a few hundred dollars.

BUT..... properly balanced weights with a gimballed grip give you the ability to tilt (front - back or left - right) and stay balanced. with a pendulum weighted system you have to exert constant force to keep at an angle that is off center. That can be hard to do smoothly.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)