DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   XHA1 with Steadicam Merlin? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/84173-xha1-steadicam-merlin.html)

Kevin Janisch January 17th, 2007 06:01 PM

XHA1 with Steadicam Merlin?

Can anybody comment on whether the A1 is compatible with the Merlin? Many thanks.

Kevin

Charles Papert January 18th, 2007 06:13 PM

At 4.5 lbs, you are half a pound away from the upper end of the Merlin's weight range, so if you aren't planning to run accessories with the camera (wireless mike receivers, onboard light, external hard drive, wide angle lens etc) you should be OK. It will be on the heavy side, contributing to operator fatigue, but then again there was an arm and vest shown for the Merlin at CES which will be available soon.

Bottom-line, it's doable--but if you intend to load up the camera, consider the Flyer.

Jeff Rhode January 18th, 2007 06:25 PM

We have a Merlin that was tried with a Z1. It was too heavy for it with the standard weights. The Gl1 was better, but it gets pretty taxing on the wrist after a short while. I think that the A1 is about the same weight as the Z1. Once you get your battery and ANY other accessory on there it is going to put you over the limit IMHO. I know that Merlin sells additional weights, but it is heavy already with a camera like the A1 on it.

Rick Hensley January 18th, 2007 07:47 PM

yep its compatible - i have it

its right about at the weight limit for the merlin, you could probably add a mic and still work - a harddisk would probably weight too much to add on

be aware that it IS a handful - about 6 pounds total weight to hold up, so consider the length of shots you want to make and if you can hold the weight for that long

Byron Huskey January 18th, 2007 09:57 PM

I am curious about this set up myself as I'm very interested in getting the Merlin/Steadicam vest and arm that was just announced if it works for the product. My girlfriend keeps pestering me to invest in one. If only I had a dollar for every time she mentioned it! I'd have...um....12 dollars. Okay, maybe $100 dollars for every time. ;)

Charles Papert January 18th, 2007 10:16 PM

That's a good girlfriend! Maybe she wants to play around with it too?

The design of the Merlin arm, incorporating the same concepts as the Flyer arm, means that it will have a far smoother operation than any of the competitor's lightweight arms. Should be a really sweet little combo.

Kevin Janisch January 20th, 2007 10:26 PM

Thank you all for your feedback!

Kevin

Charles Papert January 21st, 2007 12:36 PM

Incidentally, will be testing the Merlin vest and arm at the factory on Monday, so I will post my thoughts on it here shortly thereafter.

Paul Leung January 21st, 2007 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Hensley
yep its compatible - i have it

its right about at the weight limit for the merlin, you could probably add a mic and still work - a harddisk would probably weight too much to add on

be aware that it IS a handful - about 6 pounds total weight to hold up, so consider the length of shots you want to make and if you can hold the weight for that long

I saw a bracket people use to mount their harddisk as counterweight at the buttom of the Merlin. I think that's a great idea for adding stuffs but not adding weight.

Richard Hunter January 21st, 2007 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Leung
I saw a bracket people use to mount their harddisk as counterweight at the buttom of the Merlin. I think that's a great idea for adding stuffs but not adding weight.

Hi Paul. Sounds like a great idea. Where did you see this?

Richard

Michael Y Wong January 21st, 2007 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Leung

I beleve this is what you mean Paul:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ccessory_detai

I would love to buy this for my Merlin but its so EXPENSIVE! Also i think the plate would have seriously benefitted from a standard cold shoe adapter.

The Merlin does work well with the XH-A1, but you do have to make sure hte upper spar is screwed on TIGHT to teh baseplate since I notice that the upper spar easily gets loose from all the weights required to balance the camera. (This is a very annoying design flaw). Other then that I did find it a little tough to get used to compared to my HC1 which is a dream to use with the Merlin even with a large battery, wide angle adapter+ lens hood + Video Light/Video Mic.

When I first tired the XH-A1 + Merlin I thought that I woud never be able to use the 2 2gether successfully for extended durations of time but the last time I used the XH-A1+Merlin I think i shot maybe 25 mins of footage consequtively wile filming family Xmas party/dinner.

Thus, it takes a while to get used to but provided you are in physically good shape (meaning work out regularly and take care of urself) I am sure you can use it for extended periods of time.

You WILL need to use the G-Platz & if i recall correctly you need like 5 mid weights (no finishing weight) for a VERY WELL balancing, I have NOT mounted my 10/20 video light on top of the camera however with the Merlin, nor do I use my 970 series mammoth battery, just the stock 950. Ugh I keep on forgetting to put these settings into the Merlin cookbook itself.

I have a ton of XH-A1+Merlin footage so I'll be sure to post some stuffs up this week.

Jeff Rhode January 21st, 2007 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Y Wong
I beleve this is what you mean Paul:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ccessory_detai

I would love to buy this for my Merlin but its so EXPENSIVE! Also i think the plate would have seriously benefitted from a standard cold shoe adapter.

Hi Michael,

That is expensive. Doesn't look like a terribly complicated a device. Just need the right size thread attached to a base plate and a hunk of velcro.
Out of curiosity, where would you put the cold shoe on the plate ?

Jeff

Mikko Wilson January 21st, 2007 11:32 PM

As mentioned allready, yes the A1 does fly just fine on the Merlin.

Somsone said they had trouble with the Z1? I've flown the Z1 on my Merlin somewhat without any trouble. The camera, a large battery and the shotgun mic. Balances just fine with even a little more capacity to spare. (not much)

I have the above mentioned Merlin accessory plate and I love it. (http://www.jimfarrell.com/merlin/)
Very usefull for using radio mics, with for example the Z1. I've also used the plate to mount a small LCD monitor on the bottom with great success.

I feel the price is fair, the plate is really ridged, and is tapped so that you can add the regular merlin weights back to it to get the weight trimmed.
I've spoken with the guy who developed it (Jim Farrell), and apprently it took quite some time to find a material which not only was solid and could be made to weigh the same as one counterweight. But also a material that would grip threads on the spar so the plate doesn't spin!

It's well worth it's price if you want to fly certain accessories with the larger cameras. Not a tool for all, but way usefull if it's the tool for the job.

- Mikko

Sunny Dhinsey September 27th, 2007 09:32 AM

I too am looking to purchase the Merlin for my XHA1.

At present my A1 has a Senn G2 receiver, a SWIT 2010 light and battery adaptor and a Rode NT1 shotgun mic (which means a BP950 & BP970 battery on it together)

I'm assuming the weight is too much for the Merlin to handle.

What's the best way of adapting (adding more counterweight etc) the Merlin to achieve smooth operation?

Thanks in advance :-)

Jack Walker September 27th, 2007 11:20 AM

Here is an accessory plate for the Merlin that will let you use your receiver as a counter weight:
http://www.jimfarrell.com/merlin/Plates%20Only.htm

Regarding all the other accessories you have, because you can eliminate some for your Merlin shots to bring the weight down. Do you need a light, extra batteries and big shotgun along with the wireless for the Merlin shots?

You also might look at the Pilot instead of the Merlin. the pilot goes up to 10 pounds:
http://www.steadicam.com/pilot.html