glidecam smooth shooter bounce at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 13th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #1
Major Player

glidecam smooth shooter bounce

Hi guys,
I am using a glidecam 4000 and smooth shooter for a very short time. I have the glidecam balanced with a vx2100 but when using it with the smooth shooter I find that the camera bounces up and down when moving. Am I doing something wrong. It is almost like it is too springy. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 11:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Jason,

Do you have the arm tuned so that it sits low when you aren't holding it up? We have found with our system that it works best that way because when your human arm lifts the sled to shooting height it helps to dampen the pogoing effect somewhat (up and down movement).

Also, try to put as much weight on the sled as you can while being still being able to properly balance it. I don't know if your system allows this without adding weight to the camera stage.

One more thing...try to walk as smoothly as possible. Research the "Steadicam walk" on the web. Our training video has a short clip on this and can be found at...
http://www.indicam.com/index.php?opt...d=28&Itemid=57
(click on "Walk the Walk").

Every little bit helps.

Terry
Indicam

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 07:46 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Terry
Thanks for the reply, I have the glidecam with five plates on the top and then the quick release and then the camera and it weighs about 15lbs. The springs are set so the arm is in the middle like the manual states but it has way too much bounce. When I fly the glidecam manually without the SS it is balanced but way too heavy to go an extended time. I'll give your idea a try. Thanks
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)