A1 and Works with glidecam 2000? at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 19th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #1
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 347
A1 and Works with glidecam 2000?

Hello

Iím a newbie in the business with an A1 camera. I just received last Friday the glide cam pro 2000 for my A1 and after 3 days trying to balance that guy, I quit. I called the people of glidecam and they said that my A1 should work with the 2000 based on the specs. But is not truth the only way that I can balance an A1 in a glidecam 2000 is w/out battery and none accessories. Now B&H is changing their mind and telling me that I should get the 4000 instead. They should be telling me that from the beginning since I told them that I was planning to have a weight of almost 5.3 lb. as some of you know 6 ld is the max in 2000.

Iím wondering if some of you guys are using the 2000 or 4000 with A1 and some details regarding the process to get it balanced.


Thanks
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 04:08 PM   #2
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL USA
Posts: 722
Jose, I have the Glidecam 2000 and it works great with the A1. I'm not near the camera now, but I have the bottom post extended about 6" below the post, and I can't remember how many weight plates I have on it.

I'm using the A1 with the BP945 battery, tape, LCD out with hood and no other accessories and it works fine.

I will reply back later with some more info once I get it in my hands
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 05:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sugar Land, TX USA
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Weeks
Jose, I have the Glidecam 2000 and it works great with the A1. I'm not near the camera now, but I have the bottom post extended about 6" below the post, and I can't remember how many weight plates I have on it.

I'm using the A1 with the BP945 battery, tape, LCD out with hood and no other accessories and it works fine.

I will reply back later with some more info once I get it in my hands
Nick... that would be great! Just received my new Glidecam 2000 Pro today and I've got my A1 sitting on it.
I took off everything I could to lighten up the A1 (lens hood, external mic clamp). I've only spent about 30 minutes balancing everything and I'm close (but no cigar yet :-))
I'd be really interested to hear how many counter weight disks you're using (I have four placed almost to the ends on either side with the central post all the way extended)
I've seen the tips and some of the other posts, but never anything specific to the XHA1.

NOTE: I'll let y'all know how it goes. I have to say that (even after just an hour or so) I'm totally convinced once I have everything tweaked out... it's going to make for some phenomenal footage!
L. Kirk Kauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL USA
Posts: 722
OK, I've attached 2 pictures. What I'm referring to as the front is the bottom of the glidecam that has the monitor hole in it, also where the camera lens would be faced.

The measurements are approximate, but they give you a good idea where to start. I'm still playing around with it, but this setup gives excellent results. It has a drop time of about 1.5 sec.

There are 4 weight plates on each side. It could probably use a little more weight, bit I've achieved great results with 4 + 4 weights
Attached Thumbnails
A1 and Works with glidecam 2000?-img_5503.jpg   A1 and Works with glidecam 2000?-img_5506.jpg  

Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #5
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL USA
Posts: 722
Oh yea, and the next accessory I will buy would be the vest to support the Glidecam 2000 (I think its called the Smooth Shooter). This camera fatigues me fast!
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 08:08 PM   #6
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sugar Land, TX USA
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Weeks
Oh yea, and the next accessory I will buy would be the vest to support the Glidecam 2000 (I think its called the Smooth Shooter). This camera fatigues me fast!
The pics are much appreciated! (can we see your camera on the top of the rig?)
I'm finding I'm closer to full balance with five cw's... I tried your exact setup... but need to see how you've balanced the camera and what you have on it. Possibility, my man?

So you'd go for the vest before the arm brace? :-) If my wish list wasn't limited, the Smooth Shooter would sure be on mine!

Last edited by L. Kirk Kauder; February 19th, 2007 at 08:41 PM.
L. Kirk Kauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:56 PM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL USA
Posts: 722
Camera is balanced with the 950G battery that came with it, no tape, lcd open, clear glass and polarizer filter on it. It's pretty quick and easy to balance. I set it up in less than 2 minutes. I've also tried with 5 weights (10 total) and its a little different, but it just feels unbalanced to me with 10 instead of 8. I also added a picture of the bottom plate so you can get an idea where I mounted it.

I plan on using the CH-910 dual charger with 2 BP-945s eventually, still trying to get a feel for the glidecam itself first. I'm hoping that will save a little weight, although minimal, it should make at least a little bit of difference.

That arm brace is going to be worthless, although I've never tried it. I need to be able to wear this for 4-5 hours at a time with no fatigue, and the vest is really the only thing that will distribute the weight of the camera enough to reduce fatigue. That arm brace might help, but the vest just seems like it would be so much better.

I'd love to buy the Steadicam flyer or Varizoon aviator with the dual-springs, but the smooth shooter is such a great deal for now. Maybe I'll upgrade someday, but this is my first stabilizer, so I need to make some money with it first :)
Attached Thumbnails
A1 and Works with glidecam 2000?-img_5509.jpg   A1 and Works with glidecam 2000?-img_5515.jpg  

Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #8
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sugar Land, TX USA
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Weeks
Camera is balanced with the 950G battery that came with it, no tape, lcd open, clear glass and polarizer filter on it. It's pretty quick and easy to balance. I set it up in less than 2 minutes. I've also tried with 5 weights (10 total) and its a little different, but it just feels unbalanced to me with 10 instead of 8. I also added a picture of the bottom plate so you can get an idea where I mounted it.

I plan on using the CH-910 dual charger with 2 BP-945s eventually, still trying to get a feel for the glidecam itself first. I'm hoping that will save a little weight, although minimal, it should make at least a little bit of difference.

That arm brace is going to be worthless, although I've never tried it. I need to be able to wear this for 4-5 hours at a time with no fatigue, and the vest is really the only thing that will distribute the weight of the camera enough to reduce fatigue. That arm brace might help, but the vest just seems like it would be so much better.

I'd love to buy the Steadicam flyer or Varizoon aviator with the dual-springs, but the smooth shooter is such a great deal for now. Maybe I'll upgrade someday, but this is my first stabilizer, so I need to make some money with it first :)
Sweet! Thanks for the pics, Nick!
L. Kirk Kauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #9
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL USA
Posts: 722
Anytime.....
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #10
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 347
Thanks a lot Nick !!

It works!! but i.m exchanging my 2000 for the 4000 anyway cause I'm ordering a monitor an d for sure now is going be over 6 pounds.

I'll let you how is going with 4000 next week.
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 06:59 AM   #11
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 347
I just got the 4000 now and totally easier to balance comparing with the 2000.
the smooth shooter also works great.

thank you nick for the first input with the 2000 model.
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #12
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Ortiz View Post
I just got the 4000 now and totally easier to balance comparing with the 2000.
the smooth shooter also works great.

thank you nick for the first input with the 2000 model.

Any possible way to get you to email me a few pics of your setup Jose? I just bought the Glidecam 4000 also for my A1.

Take care,

Steve
Steve Montoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #13
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 279
Hi Jose & Steve,

I have just picked up a Glidecam 4000 and having difficult time balancing it. please email me the pics of your setups so I can see what I have done wrong.

Thanks in advance
Matthew
__________________
Canon XHA1, Brevis 35mm, Manfrotto 028,501,Vegas Pro 10e
Matthew Amirkhani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 12:14 AM   #14
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 1,997
I actually took my GL2, Beachtec, WD-58 and MultiRigPro and put them on my bathroom scale to get the weight so I would know about how much weight I would need to fly. I also measured me holding it and then just me in case the scale has non-linear weight problems. The total rig weighed in at around 8 pounds AND I still have the light & second battery. So I bet the whole unit will push 9-10. I might not fly with the MultiRig on there, but for my shooting needs, I need lightning fast transitions.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:06 AM   #15
New Boot
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 11
Re: A1 and Works with glidecam 2000?

Does anyone have any updated photos with the Xha1. I believe I have it balanced, but to be quite honest, I'm not sure if it's supposed to be "still" when standing there after stopping. If I don't gently touch the post, it would just gently swing around, eventually coming back to center. Thanks everyone
Dawn Minenna is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:12 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network