Which body mounted stabilizing system for the Panasonic DVX100A? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old March 20th, 2007, 03:51 AM   #1
New Boot

Which body mounted stabilizing system for the Panasonic DVX100A?

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a body mounted steadycam rig for my DVX. So far I have the following systems on my list: the Indicam (www.indicam.com) , the FS Pro stabilizer (www.fsprostab.com), a used Magiqcam or the Glidecam Smooth shooter (www.glidecam.com).
All of these systems come with a vest and have a dual articulated arm, except the Smooth Shooter.
Could anyone who tested these rigs or ownes one of the systems let me know his impressions? Which one is the best for flying a DVX? Right now I'd prefer the Magiqcam because I read a lot of good things about this rig (besides the long shipping times), but it is very difficult to find one of these systems on the market. The FSPro looks well engeneerd, too, but I couldn't find any review from an owner when searching the web. The Indicam seems to be quite good but I'm not sure if I like their solution for the vest (the backpack solution...). It looks less profesional to me, even if the rig is said to be built very well and especially the gimbal is said to be very good.
And last but not least the Smooth shooter. I saw some footage of the SS and it looked very nice. Seems like this rig does the job quite well, too, but a disadvantage is the single arm solution. I think this could be a problem when walking faster or going up and down stairs...
So if you could help me making my decission, I'd be very glad. Right now I really don't know which way to go.
BTW if you think I forgot any system please let me know. Of course I know the Flyer and the higher class systems, but unfortunately they are out of my price range. My budget is 2500$ but I wouldn't mind spending only 2000$ or less ;-)

I'd appreciate any information, review or opinion on this topic.

Thank you very much,
Manfred
Manfred Dilg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #2
Major Player

What accessories are you planning on flying with your DVX?

And, what type of shooting / shots are you hoping to do?

- Mikko
Old March 21st, 2007, 02:34 AM   #3
New Boot

Hi Mikko,

I want to fly the standard DVX100A + 5400 mAh Batterie from time to time with the anamophic adapter or a wide ankle lens, and sometimes with my 35mm adapter.
No concrete shoots are planned, but I will need it for normal walking, running, walking up and down stairs. And mostly outdoors for shoots if we can't use a dolly.
I know the Glidecam will come to it's weight limit especially if the wideankle or 35mm adapter will be used.

Best regards,
Manfred
Manfred Dilg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 11:48 PM   #4
Major Player

Manfred,

Just to keep you and everyone else informed, we now have a Discreet Vest in addition to the backpack vest. Pictures can be found in "Indicam review continued" or on our website at www.indicam.com.

As for how well the Indicam PILOT works...we'll let our customers handle that if there are any reading this post.

Good luck in your search. If you have any questions that we can answer we'll be glad to do so.

Terry
Indicam

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)