Question for Merlin + HV10 users at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 3rd, 2007, 03:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Question for Merlin + HV10 users

Just got the Merlin and tried to balance it up with the XH-A1. Realized that this combination would be to heavy for me to use. I also have a H10 which I now would like to try on the Merlin.

Anyone here that uses this combination?
Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:01 PM   #2
Still Motion

I have the merlin and use it with the HV29 and the XH1 with or without a wide ange. All combos work well but I prefer more weight.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:00 AM   #3
Wrangler

Bjorn:

The HV10 is going to be a little funky on the Merlin due to its vertical shape coupled with its light weight. It can work but it probably won't fly quite as well as, say, an HV20.

Are you quite sure the A1 is too heavy for you? Are you needing to fly it for more than a minute or two for the type of shots you plan to make?
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Charles,
I tried again with the HV10 yesterday and found that it almost is too small / light, which makes it difficult to control.
Before I read your post my thought was: Should I buy the Merlin arm and Vest when it comes out - or - should I buy another HDV cam that is lighter than XH-A1, like f.ex. the Sony HVR-A1E ??

Think I will give the Merlin / XH-A1 another try.

Bjorn
Old May 9th, 2007, 01:40 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I mounted the A1 again and have now practiced a few hours.
I am sure this rig will newer be my best friend. It simply is to difficult to master, and I don't have the time to practice....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)