Glidecam 2000 vs. Steadicam Merlin for HV20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 5th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Glidecam 2000 vs. Steadicam Merlin for HV20

Alright, so I just picked up a Canon HV20, and now I'm looking at picking up my first stabilizer system. Friend has a Glidecam 2000 and swears by it, but admits he's never fooled around with a Merlin. Given the cost differential ($369 vs. $800), I'd like to know the difference before I spend more of my cash on this gear.
Ryan P. Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #2
Wrangler

With a heavier camera than the HV20, you would notice a substantial difference in terms of overall payload with the GC over the Merlin. But with a light camera, the nuances of balance and accuracy of the gimbal become more important. Making tiny adjustments in the top stage is a critical task, and the GC does not offer the ability to do this compared to the Merlin.
Old May 6th, 2007, 02:28 AM   #3
Tourist

Range of movements

Can you do the same kind of movements with the Merlin / Glidecam? Or are does one do better than the other in some kind of movements.
Wilfred Ketelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #4
Trustee

You should be able to do the same movements. The Merlin fits the HV20 better in philosophy as the stores smaller. So, your kit is much more portable.

//I have a GC2k.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm thinking that tilts and rolls i.e. extended dutch shots would be easier with the Glidecam but for smooth flight the Merlin would be just as good and easier on the arm. If you plan on a larger camera and eventually will go with a vest and arm, both company's offer good solutions.

Tery
Indicam

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 10:00 AM   #6
Tourist

Glidecam and Merlin used in the field

I own a Merlin but had a chance to try a Glidecam 2000 extensively on a job recently with surprisingly good results. Written up my experiences on the blog at:

Robin Schmidt, Director, Editor and DSLR mentalist – GLIDECAM 2000 vs STEADICAM MERLIN – WHICH ONE TO BUY?

Hope that helps

Robin
Robin Schmidt, Director, Editor and DSLR mentalist
Robin Schmidt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)