A1 on the Glidecam 2000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:13 AM   #1
Major Player

A1 on the Glidecam 2000

Well here's my first test footage with my new A1. I had bought a glidecam 2000 last year for my sony TRV which turned out too light to get a good balance, so the glidecam collected dust until now. The clip is made of my first 2 days of testing with it. Maybe an hour total balancing, 30 minutes usage total. I have alot to learn about keeping it from rocking and turning (at the end it was intentional), but not bad at all! Just gets a bit heavy on the wrist...looks like i`ll be getting my money's worth out of the gym :D The color is a bit flat because I was using VIVDRGB the first day and messed with the settings for low light and forgot to fix it, so we``ll call this just a glidecam test ;)

http://www.kiukle.com/temp/glidecam_a1.mov

50 megs
Enjoy :)
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:30 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Nice. Maybe you need the body harness if you're arm is getting too tired. What's the music you used?
Jeff Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:18 AM   #3
Major Player

The music is a track from freeplaymusic.com I believe. Its royalty free music. I`m debating the arm brace vs body pod, as the body pod doesn`t look like you can go up or down with it....i like the free roam of the arm.

As an extra, does the video sheer on your computers too? Or is it just my monitor. The big tree turn around seems to jitter and sheer at that point on mine.
Old October 1st, 2007, 08:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

How did you get it balanced? How many weights on each side? Hole position? Length of bar from base?
Old December 20th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Nathan,

How do you keep the Glidecam from rocking? I got one of these and am now learning it, however I took a walk in a forest and some of the footage is rocking. A friend told me that that's because I needed to extend the centre pole as long as possible. I thought it was because I hadn't been guiding it properly with my free hand.

(The Glidecam is properly balanced.)

Also, in your video, how did you get the camera and glidecam so high upward off the ground (seconds 24 to 29)?

Last edited by Helen Habib; December 21st, 2007 at 12:02 PM.
Helen Habib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 03:19 PM   #6
Major Player

I`m at work right now so I`m not sure the measurements and weights, but you should equal the camera weight (5 pounds) with the weights, about 2.5 front and back. Mine still rocks because I`m not a master yet. Helpful hints : learn the 'duck walk', essentially its walking with bent knees using your legs to absorb as much motion as possible. Your upper body should remain at constant height and not bounce as with normal walking. Also use the free hand to lightly grab the center bar and keep it steady. Balancing perfect is likely to never ever happen, so you still need to compensate for slight breezes, wind, if your arm moves quickly, any number of things. You just have to always work to keep the camera as still as possible. The height was easy. I put the glidecam on the ground, lifted it, stood with it, and lifted my arm as high as I could. I`m 5'9, so I may have gotten it to about 7' or slightly under. I`m my own jib haha. A jib would do a better job, but alas money is very tight. Hope this helps some.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 09:22 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for the tips, this is very helpful!
Helen Habib is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)