Broken ground tips? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 31st, 2007, 07:15 AM   #1
Trustee

Broken ground tips?

I shot some unrehearsed following shots last weekend and to got too busy. I think the solution I need is a low mount monitor or hold lower. The monitor is an issue because it will be another thing to worry about ( I biked all my equipment in). I shot with a Glidecam 2000. I had to come off a rock, then follow on broken gravel avoiding roots and rocks. The problem was that my framing suffered for it. I had tried to pick routes in advance, but the action did not follow a set path. Anyone have any additional tips? One I thought of was to bring my regular sneakers (I am wearing my SPD bike shoes, but you cannot hear the cleats clicking.)

The steady starts around 34seconds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOYQbPYajho

I have it in HDV in the consumer HDV section for HC1/3/5/7 and A1 too http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=95212
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 09:54 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi George,

First of all, yes, wear proper footwear always. Vibrations start in the feet and travel up from there. Also, you want footwear you don't have to think about. Bike shoes, SPD especially, aren't a lot of good anywhere but in the pedals.

Framing in general simply takes practice. For your specific shots, it looked as though the terrain was rough, not allowing you to concentrate as much as you ought to. We all encounter less than ideal terrain here and there. We must do what is possible to either fix it, or practice it as much as possible and make the best of it.

One thing you could've done here is trimmed the sled back, so it was not necessarily in perfect vertical balance. Instead it would be slightly tilted back (lens tilted up). This would help to maintain the composition a little more "automatically".

Best,
Afton
Old June 1st, 2007, 10:52 AM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Afton. The back trim would have helped a lot.

I also found some new PE foam that came with some IBM blade servers. I can make a better mount for carrying my Glidecam and fit my regular sneakers in it. The Shimano shoes I have are not so ideal. They are comfortable for bike shoes as they are mountain shoes, but that cleat in the middle just messes up a good shuffle. ;)
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 10:28 PM   #4
Major Player

George,

I thought that you did a very good job for the most part seeing the real rough terrain you had to go over on the last shots.

Tery
Indicam

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 08:22 AM   #5
Trustee

Thanks Terry.
George Ellis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)