DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   JVC ProHD 100, Glidecam 4000, Smooth Shooter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/99243-jvc-prohd-100-glidecam-4000-smooth-shooter.html)

Ryan Szulczewski July 18th, 2007 06:26 PM

JVC ProHD 100, Glidecam 4000, Smooth Shooter

I was just curious if anyone had any experience balancing the JVC ProHD camera (has the IDX battery attachment too) with the Glidecam 4000? It's a fairly heavy camera so it is difficult for me to get the balance on it. When I stop, the camera has a tendency to rock forward and if I go right to left then reverse direction it will rock as well.

The smooth shooter supports the camera fine. It's just the inertia of the camera seems to be too great for it, either that or I just need to work with the rig a lot more.

Terry Thompson July 20th, 2007 12:58 AM

Ryan,

Did I get this right...when you stop, the camera tips downward? If that is right then your sled is top heavy and it should be really hard to operate that way.

If, on the other hand, the camera tips up when you stop then your drop time is too fast (bottom heavy sled). Hold the sled (4000 pro) horizontal and let it go. The bottom should not swing past vertical too fast i.e. less than 1.5 to 2 seconds. You can adjust this problem by moving the bottom plate up just a bit (shorten the extension post).

Could you reclarify what the camera is doing when you come to a stop?

Tery
Indicam

Ryan Szulczewski July 20th, 2007 08:46 AM

Terry,
The camera rocks up when I stop. I moved the plate up and am now in the process of removing some weight from the bottom. I already can tell a difference.

Thank you for your help.

Terry Thompson July 20th, 2007 03:37 PM

Ryan,

One thing you will notice with a longer drop time is you need to balance the rig to a finer degree. Just a slight move on the camera stage can make a difference. Don't get frustrated as it becomes easier with practice.

One tip for balancing the sled is to move the camera (on the camera plate) uphill if it is tipping one way or another.

Tery
Indicam

Ryan Szulczewski July 20th, 2007 04:38 PM

I had actually got the camera pretty well balanced with a lot less weight on the bottom and the bottom plate close to the camera. I was able to move and change direction without the camera pitching either way... then I put a tape in the camera and threw the balance all out of whack.

Note to self: put tape in before balancing.

Thanks for all your tips. It has been a great help.

Terry Thompson July 20th, 2007 08:51 PM

Let's see, how many times have I balanced the sled and not remembered to pull the monitor out first? That is why one of the first things we cover in the training DVD is-to make sure the tape is in, the monitor is out, the lens cap is off, and the correct battery is in place. Everything that goes on the camera goes on before you balance it.

Look at the bright side, you get to practice balancing the sled again.

Tery
Indicam