DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Flycam - scam? or does it work? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/99874-flycam-scam-does-work.html)

Arne Pursell July 26th, 2007 11:25 PM

Flycam - scam? or does it work?

I'm a newb just moving from stills (645) to video with an HV20. I saw the 'flycam 3000' on ebay, didn't see it was manufactured in Bollywood, and (OK there were a few beers involved) purchased it on the spot for around 150 usd. I saw at least 3 other posts regarding it, but no follow ups. Will it actually arrive, and is it usable? Considering I heaped abuse on the reps following the purchase (they even include 'glidecam' at least twice on their ebay page), I suppose I should be lucky to receive it at all.

Any experiences? (yes I know there's one born every day - learned my lesson!). Not to slag off India too much - I lived there for 4 years and loved it - but quality is definately an issue...

Arne - Norway - on exchange - grad - Ithaca, NY.

Mikko Wilson July 27th, 2007 12:05 AM

I have heard that people who have ordered these units have received them in good working order.

That being said, it's a copy of an imitation (Glidecam) of the original (Steadicam). And it does have some of the fundamental design flaws that the Glidecam does that it was copied from.

But bottom line; you probably will safely receive a unit capable of making some basic stabilized shots without too much trouble (after a bit of practice).

- Mikko

Arne Pursell July 27th, 2007 12:18 AM

Thanks for the reply

Thanks - I was mostly worried about the quality of the gimbal - i.e. bearings in the gimbal - although it's a long time since I was there ('85-89). Still their business practices leave something to be desired...ironically, finishing up school here with a speech on 'ethical business practices'..

Paul Mailath July 30th, 2007 02:07 AM

I had a friend purchase one recently - arrived no problem and we've already used it on one short. For the money it's a good start. I got some reasonable shots out of the box and it didn't take me long to set the thing up.

With a LOT of practice I could get a lot better, I just have to set aside the time.

I've been thinking of getting my own for some time so I was glad to have a go at this one. I'm still favouring the indicam though.

Terry Thompson July 30th, 2007 10:40 PM

Arne,

I'd be interested to know if the gimbal is linear or not. I'm guessing not.

The way to find out is to first get a 2 second drop time with the sled balanced (camera facing forward). Now, twist the post so they camera is pointing backward and see if the post stays vertical. This is most evident with the longer drop times.

I am not in favor of anybody making an exact copy of someone else's rig and selling it for less. We manufacturers all use the same principles but have different designs. We also credit Garrett for his pioneering work.

Tery
Indicam