DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Still Crazy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/)
-   -   MIA: SD800! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/113313-mia-sd800-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.html)

Dylan Couper January 27th, 2008 11:59 AM

MIA: SD800! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

Inconceivable!
My beloved Canon SD800 is missing in action...

Let me run this scenario by you and get your opinon:
My bathtub faucet breaks on Monday. I spend 2 minutes deciding the best way to pull it and fix it, then remember... I'm renting this place, the property management can pay someone to come fix it! So a plumber comes while I'm out on Thursday, faucet is all better. Yesterday morning, I go looking for my SD800 digital camera, which always sits in 100% plain sight by my keys at the front door in a little basket (it's the only way I keep from losing my keys). It's not there. I look in the only other place it ever sits. It isn't there. The last time I remember seeing it for sure was Wednesday. I tear my place apart looking for it. Gone. You see what I'm getting at?

Might I be paranoid?

I'm trying to decided whether to call the property management company, and don't even know what to say if I do. I can't prove anything anyway and don't want to ruin the plumber's rep in case I'm wrong.

Chris Hurd January 27th, 2008 12:39 PM

Ouch... any not-yet-downloaded pictures on the card?

Richard Alvarez January 27th, 2008 12:45 PM

If you have renters insurance, that will probably cover it. BUT - take a look in your vehicle console first. I lost/left my digital camera in the center console of a rental car last year. Spent five days looking for it before I recalled taking it with me on that trip.

SO - are you certain you didn't take the camera with you somewere, and leave it there or in your car?

If so, and no renters insurance, then I'd call the plumbing company and ask if any one else 'came to the door' while the plumber was in and you were out. When they ask why, tell them something is missing and you're trying to chase down the timeline on the access to the house.

Dylan Couper January 27th, 2008 01:32 PM

ABout 2 weeks of photos on the card, nothing scandalous, although some good shots from a snowboarding trip.

Checked the car console. I've "lost" stuff in there too!

Have renter's insurance, but the deductible is (I think) more than picking up another camera.

I don't have the contact info for the plummer, I'll have to go through the rental management company, but it's getable.

And... I'm 98% sure that it was here before they came in, and hadn't done anything with it since. I'd hate to go accusing anyone of stealing it unless there was zero doubt... but of course there is that slim chance.

You know... if there was a significantly updated model of the SD800, then I wouldn't care as much. :)

Chris Hurd January 27th, 2008 01:43 PM

Sorry to break it to you, but the SD870IS is the updated model and it's the cat's meow.

Surely the plumber is bonded?

Frank Granovski January 27th, 2008 04:23 PM

Call the manager, call the cops, call Channel 11. :-(

Dylan Couper January 28th, 2008 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 815358)
Sorry to break it to you, but the SD870IS is the updated model and it's the cat's meow.

I looked at the SD870 on dpreview, but it said the only significant updates were a bigger screen and half a MP of resolution?

Chris Hurd January 28th, 2008 01:17 PM

What's real handy about it is a dedicated Play button. You no longer have to switch between Camera and Playback modes. You can review shots using the Play button while in Camera mode or from a complete power-down. I never knew how much I missed this feature until I used it on the 870IS.

And the larger screen is very nice.

Dylan Couper January 28th, 2008 11:56 PM

I like that. The only complaints I have about the SD800 are having to rotate the dial to see my pics... And the god awful Off/On button on the top. I hate that button with the fire of a thousand burning hells.