Digital Photo Frames... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old March 15th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Digital Photo Frames...

Just bought my missus a Samsung SPF-83H DPF for her birthday (yeah, yeah, I tried to get a 83V with wireless but there isn't one in NZ yet).

It's an 800 X 600 pixel 8" screen, inbuilt 128 meg memory, with USB connect and takes CF/ SD/ MMC/ MS & XD cards to boot. It will even work as a mini second monitor on a PC (XP SP2 only) using the USB link and supplied software (how cute is that?).

The question is this:

Being 800 X 600 I'm assuming the best display will be if the piccies are downressed to this beforehand using Photoshop et al, saving a shed load of space into the bargain.

But how oh how do you downress a thousand piccies in bulk?

The thought of doing them singly is too much for my poor surviving grey cell to contemplate.

I could just dump it on her of course, now that's a thought!

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 06:28 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
But how oh how do you downress a thousand piccies in bulk?
GraphicConverter does this kind of batch conversion, but I think its mac only. There must be a pc equivalent - since there is so much more software out there for pc :-)
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Colin..........

but THINK I may have found a way using our PC's.

There's a freebie download from Google called Picasa2, which is quite a stunning little app. Roots round all your hard drives and ferrets out any and every image, still or video anywhere (you would be amazed at what ends up where after a while - or maybe not).

It allows you to build folders/ albums and all sorts. Just checked it in some more depth (I don't have reason to use it often) and have found an "Export" function which will allow you to transfer bulk selected piccies to a hard drive folder, re- sizing as it does so.

Not going to be too crash hot because of the different aspect ratios but worth giving a try.

Anyone know of a smarter PC way of doing it?

CS
Old March 16th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #4
Wrangler

Photoshop Elements has script or automate command (look on the File menu) which will do this for you. You can resize all the files in any folder and choose the desired format/compression. It's a pretty cheap program if you don't already have it (around $80USD?). But companies also used to bundle it with scanners and digital cameras so you might already have a copy on an old CD somewhere.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks Boyd...........

Haven't played with it yet, but yes, I do have it (bought it as a bundle with Premier Elements a while ago) but yet another of those pieces of software I just don't have time to play with often.

(I've got one of those machines where if I go "Start" > "Programs", the resultant lists obscure the entire 24" screen! - where does all this stuff come from?)

And you are correct, it does have the batch processing thing available, tho' without further delving can't figure out whether it's going to allow me to specify a pixel size instead of the default "picture size".

Thanks for the heads up!

CS
Old March 16th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #6
Wrangler

It should have the option to resize the image, and a checkbox for whether you want to maintain the same proportions (aspect ratio) as the original. If that box is checked then it will calculate the height if you enter the desired width (or vice versa). But if you uncheck the box you can enter any width and height you want. You will need to also check the resample box I believe.

It probably won't matter for your application, but you might want to set the dpi to 72. You can also choose how much JPEG compression to use. I have used this frequently in the past to resize batches of images for web pages and it has always worked very well.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy