Welcome to our still-photo world. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old January 3rd, 2004, 11:56 PM   #16
Major Player

And a happy new year to you, Ken!

I have Photoshop CS, although I'm not too familiar with what it can do with 16 bit processing - with v7 16 bit mode prevented many manipulations.

I placed an advanced order with Adobe. Got it the day it came out. A colleague once termed me a "software junkie" - she was right.

BTW - this forum needs a better name or, at least, better placement in the roster. The only way I could get back to it was to wait for someone to reply.
Old January 5th, 2004, 04:05 PM   #17

Using Digital Photo in Video

I've been experimenting with inserting digitally acquired images from my Canon 10D into DV slide shows composited in Vegas 4. The digital output from my 10d is 3000x2024. While DV standard is 720x480, Vegas 4 will allow HD input up to 2024x1080. If the hi res 10D images are composited in vegas 4 then rendered out to HD MPEG2 or HD WMP9, the resulting slide show is incredibly detailed and beautiful. Looking at conventional 720x480 video back to back with HD images from my 10D really makes the SD acquired DV video look fuzzy and soft.

An added benefit of using the hi-res images from my 10D is that the images can be zoomed into for quite a zoom ratio without losing any apparent fidelity. All in all, HD WMP9 videos, created in Vegas 4, are quite stunning.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 04:44 PM   #18
Machinist Mate

Bill, what's the average time you keep each picture on-screen? and do you use transitions like dissolve etc.?

And since you mentioned zooms, do you do some zooming or other "Ken Burns"-type pan-n-scan effects in these slide shows?

cheers
mike
Old January 5th, 2004, 04:59 PM   #19

absolutely...in fact, it was Ken Burns' work that gave me the model for what I'm doing. Image dwell time varies according to desired effect, probably about 6 secs average not including transitions(wipes, dissolves, fades). Images zoom, pan, zoom and pan or, rarely rotate.

A lot of the rock formations in the Four Corners area of New Mexico/Arizona are much to large to appreciate in a single still image. A pan from the base of a rock or cliff up to the top, with a slow zoom in is very effective in giving the sense of massiveness of the object.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2004, 12:35 PM   #20
Machinist Mate

Well shootfire, that sounds awesome (esp. shots of AZ/NM scenery!) I'll have to try that next time I want to do a picture presentation. Usually I just make a PowerPoint of the JPEGs and play it off the ol' laptop, but it doesn't seem like it should take a lot longer to use an NLE (my particular flavor is Final Cut Pro) then just burn a DVD and plug the projector into a DVD player. It'll look a lot more like a documentary than just a bunch of "slides" popping up one after the other (and PowerPoint animation isn't much to brag about).

Thanks for the idea!
Old June 2nd, 2004, 11:36 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Still Digital Cam Price Per-shot

I've been using digital cameras since around 96' or so and how I've been counting the price per shot is taking the total number if images created by the camera and accessories and divide it by the cost of the equipment. For instance:

On my last camera ( I upgrade cameras every 18-24 months ) I spent about $740.

I have taken about 12,000 pictures with it in the last 11 months, which equals about 0.061 cents per picture.

While on the other hand a friend of mine bought a $350 camera and has probably only taken about 200 pictures which give him a cost of $1.75 per picture, which isn’t good at all. (So if you spend a lot on a camera, get a lot of use out of it)

While I actually only make prints for about 1 in 100 pictures (I distribute mostly online) I find it much more cost effective to have the prints made at wal-mart or a similar digital processor for 24 cents each, rather then keeping ink in a expensive ink-jet printer with photo paper, which don’t end up looking as nice anyway, and not printed with archival grade inks.

I much prefer the look and quality of real film, although with the mass of pictures I take I'd go broke (literally) buying all the film and processing it all.

If your intrested in seeing some of my work you can at: http://www.4volt.com/photo
Old June 3rd, 2004, 09:39 AM   #22
Skyonic New York

i guess thats a scientific way of looking at it...if i buy a cam and it allows me to take one 'priceless' memory then it's worth it for me...
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2004, 01:41 PM   #23
Machinist Mate

Here's another way, if the "priceless memory" doesn't materialize...if you get at least one paying job from the cam purchase, the camera has paid for itself.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 11:35 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I completely agree that once a picture is taken of someone it can never be exactly replicated, which in it's own way makes every picture priceless.

When I had my last camera stolen, my biggest loss was the actual pictures in the camera.

I usually just use the formula to see if I've gotten my money out of a camera, or just to see how much money I’m saving/losing over film.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 11:43 AM   #25
New Boot

Stitching software for higher res composite shots

Another option to buying a high res still camera, such as the Kodak DCS Pro, at 14 megapixels...(4536X3024 pixels) is to use a less expensive camera, and utilize stitching software.

Check out http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/gigapixel.htm
A 6 megapixel camera took a series of pictures of Bryce Canyon, then was stitched together into a seamless composite. The final image is 40,784 x 26,800 pixels in size, and contains about 1.09 billion pixels.

The nice thing about using stitching software is that it increases the resolution, giving a large format look to even point & shoot digital cameras, and without the prohibitive costs.
The 360 degree panos are awesome, too.
Charles Rignola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 12:03 AM   #26
Major Player

Charles,

A most curious technique and a very good one since the panoramas, as you say, would not look the same if shot with a wide element. I've used a similar stitching program that came with one of my cameras. That program is mostly used to create 360 pictures and similar special effects. I tried searching for the price of PTAassembler but couldn't find anything but a free download. Is that a stand alone program or does it exist as an add-on to Panorama Tools? It's not clear from their website.
Old May 24th, 2005, 11:31 AM   #27
New Boot

Ozzie,

It's a stand alone program, for a while, then you have to update it for a price.
I never did, though, I bought a product called "Stitcher Express", instead.
I've just been using my little Kodak Easy Share under $200 digital camera for the stitching so far, but it works.
Charles Rignola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 06:23 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Photography is my main hobby. I purchased an HVR-Z1U to primarily document my first child's growth. I used to shoot primarily in medium format, but lately I'm finding it more and more difficult to obtain the films I like. Agfapan and Efke are two to mention. So, I went and traded my Mamiya RZ67 Pro IID and 2 lenses for my HDV Cam. So far so good. My only regret was having to give up the Mamiya.

I have been shooting more and more digital as of late. I currently use a Canon 20D and 300D for most of my work. You can view my photos on my website here: http://jamespaulsarte.com
James Sarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 08:35 AM   #29
Wrangler

Hey James, nice work. I like "Tired" and "PPK" next to it (If I remember the names correctly).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy