Parfocal, EOS40D and Lenses at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old August 20th, 2008, 09:50 AM   #1
Major Player

Parfocal, EOS40D and Lenses

Hey guys,

I'm back again with some questions. I've come across some more issues at work with our Canon 40D camera . OUr lens, Ultrasonic 28-135mm has a VERY soft focus to it. We're shooting at full wide and the edges of certain portions of the products come out blurred.

Also, the fact that this lens is not parfocal makes it difficult to focus the larger items.

My questions is, is it normal for this lens to have a soft focus to it? Or am I going to need to send it in to Canon for repair?

We're also looking into buying a better lens for the camera and parfocal feature is a definite must. Which is a good lens that takes very sharp images? I can probably deal with it if it's not parfocal, I would just really perfer it. I noticed Tamron lenses are really good. We used a fellow co-workers tamron film lens with the 40D amd took superior photos.

I tried attaching a full res. image but the resolution is way too big. 3888 x 2592

Any thoughts or ideas?
Old August 20th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rosales View Post
We're shooting at full wide and the edges of certain portions of the products come out blurred.
Are you sure that the edges are within the depth of field?

Quote:
My questions is, is it normal for this lens to have a soft focus to it?
It depends on your standards. Look at this 28mm f/4 comparison with the much more expensive EF 24-105 f/4 L (mouse over to compare).

Quote:
Which is a good lens that takes very sharp images?
Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS. The cheaper Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 also have excellent resolution (MTF).
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 09:14 AM   #3
Major Player

If you're using autofocus you could also be experiencing a problem with backfocus. Esp. when you're using longer focal lengths. Try if you can focus better manually.

The D300 lets me input offsets for backfocus adjustments for lenses, but I don't think the D40 can accommodate those.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy