Which digital camera do you have? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old December 5th, 2003, 02:20 AM   #31
Major Player

1 point of order, if you are still going to go to a lab to get photos printed, then i would stick with a film camera, the 35mm neg can not be beat just yet.

But everything else about digital which is said here is true, unless you are a useless arty fart like me.

Zac
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2003, 06:08 AM   #32
Warden

You can get your digital files printed at most of the better labs now. Sam's and Costco charge only $.19 USD for a 4x6. They are done on the same machines (Fuji Frontiers or equivalent) as prints from negs.

Quality wise the difference between film and digital images is a moot point. National Geographic just did it's first all digital image article. Sports Illustrated has been all digital for a while. Digital camera sales exceeds film camera sales. I see no reason to delay a purchase.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2003, 08:12 AM   #33
Major Player

Nikon D100, with 24-85 zoom, 35/f2, 70-210 zoom and SB-80DX strobe. It has really become a useful tool in writing my first film peice. I've been shooting a lot of angles and flow shots with it, and using it to delete/edit/refine images for my film. Plug it into the 36 inch TV set and run the frames. Kinda-nice! The ultimate Polaroid.
Old December 5th, 2003, 10:49 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Zac, I do agree with you, to a point. Yes I think a 35mm neg printed traditionally or high quality scan is better than the digicams out now.

But in the real world application rules, not so much the absolute best quality. Seeing the areas where digital is big, it is quite capable of meeting the demands. And the convenience of digital is also a huge plus for people working under extremely tight deadlines, etc.

I'm interested in seeing a review of the Digilux2. Looks like a very nice little cam for street shooting. But then again with the Leica name on it, it'll probably go for more than half the DSLR out now.
Old December 5th, 2003, 12:35 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Matrix metering is for girls

Meaning what?

Best,
Helen
Helen Bach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2003, 08:12 PM   #36
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Helen Bach :
Meaning what?

Best,
Helen -->>>
Just a little light hearted jab to all the matrix metering folks 8)
Old December 6th, 2003, 05:09 PM   #37
New Boot

I have been using the Olympus CZ2100 UZ since it came out. It is only a 2.1 MP but has Image stabelizer and 10X optical zoom. I have been really happy with it just wish it was 4-5 MP.

Richard, I have seen several 3.2MP point and shooters out there that fall within your price range. Some even had 3X optical zoom. Try your local WalMart or www.walmart.com they had some cameras in your range.

Happy Holidays all

You cannot motivate the best people with money. Money is just a way to keep score The best people in any field are motivated by passion
--Eric S. Raymond
David James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 12:54 PM   #38
Wrangler

I'm currently using a Sony F717 as well. Just upgraded from the F707. Now I'm already looking to upgrade to the Canon 300D.

I'm actually selling my F717 now to help fund the upgrade...
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=18230
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 06:01 PM   #39
Tourist

Hi, I use Olympus d560 but will upgrade to the olympus 5060 or the Canon G5.

Alicia
Alicia R DeLoatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 06:05 PM   #40
Machinist Mate

Main camera: Canon 10D.
Plus a Canon Elph Powershot S400 which never leaves my side.
Also have an Olympus C2500 which I never use.

Wife carries a Canon Elph Powershot S230, her second one. (first one got stolen)

Daughter just got a Canon Powershot SD100 for her birthday(basically the same as the S230 except it uses an SD card instead of CF) and has an Olympus D510 which she gave to her boyfriend upon the arrival of the Canon.

Hey, I like matrix metering. And girls. :-)
Old December 20th, 2003, 09:48 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Canon EOS-1Ds
Canon Digital Rebel
Kevin Maistros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2004, 01:05 AM   #42
Major Player

I originally had a Coolpix 900. It fell off a table and I found myself holding two cameras - one with the LCD, the other with the lens. Believe it or not I was still able to snap a few pictures although terminally out of focus. I upgraded to the then new 950 - a great traveling camera and a lot more rugged than the 900. The only big problem with the 950 is how fast it eats batteries. The cost of batteries balances the cost of film.

I just bought a Nikon D100. It could have been a Canon but since I've had an F2 and an FM for centuries along with an array of excellent Nikkor lenses - which I can still use with the D100 - I stayed with Nikon. I did buy a new 24-140 VR zoom. It's my first still camera zoom. I used to be a purist - only primes. I've found the lens' automatic movement dampener to be excellent. I can shoot handheld at 1/10th or 1/5th with no visible shake. The camera also has a built-in mirror flap dampener. I can get an acceptable handheld 1 second exposure!

The D100 is still new and I’m still learning my way around it.

My favorite camera? The one I will never sell, not even for the few thousand dollars I’ve been offered for the camera and lenses? – my trusty 1962 Leica M3 – with a 50mm, a 35mm, a 21mm, and a 180mm Leitz lenses.

My wish list for digital SLRs? – increase the chip size as to make the 35mm lenses correspond. The lack of true wide angle lenses is a big drawback. But I’m sure that is already coming down the pike.
Old January 4th, 2004, 01:16 AM   #43
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Ozzie,
Out of curiosity, what is the widest prime lens you are using with your new D100? What marked differences have you noticed (in addition to the narrower field) between its use on your D100 and your original film SLR's?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2004, 01:56 AM   #44
Major Player

That would be a 24mm prime as well as the 24-140 zoom. The main difference is, as you know, the 24mm ends up being the equivalent of a 28mm in the D100 and most other DSLRs with the same chip size. The other difference is my prime 24mm is an f2.8, the zoom is an f3.5. Of course the prime is not automatic in any way. The zoom is a G lends - meaning it has no internal aperture control. That is accomplished electronically in the camera body.

I haven't made a side by side comparison, but I think the 24 prime is sharper than the 24-140. I've perceived a certain lack of crispness in the 24 zoom.

There is a lot to get used to.
Old January 4th, 2004, 11:48 AM   #45
Machinist Mate

Much in the same way that Ozzie would have considered a Canon were it not for his inventory of Nikon lenses, I would have thought about the Nikon but for my existing stock of Canon pieces.

Man, if those batteries were getting that expensive, a rapid charger and some NiMH or LiIon batts would have been in order. We use them on my wife's Garmin GPS and on our FRS radios. The cameras already came with rechargeable (proprietary) batteries and chargers.

I too would like to see the chip expanded to 35mm frame size (not that 6.3MP is keeping me from doing my job now). Shall we start a pool to guess (bet) on the intro date? I'm thinking September 2005. :-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy